9/3/08

First Day of School

Since their preschool summer camp ended 3 weeks ago, Luke and Jaz have been hanging out at home everyday. Which, given the lack of stability in our home life in the last 3 weeks, has not been the best thing in the world for any of us. Basically, they've been driving each other crazy, driving Lena and me crazy, and working themselves up into psycho versions of themselves: bored, hyperactive and overtired all at once. So, we've really just been holding our breath, waiting for school to start up again.

The start of school is especially exciting this fall because Luke and Jaz are starting at a new school--kindergarten!--and for the first time ever, we decided to separate them into different classrooms. We made the decision after much deliberation with each other and the boys' preschool teachers. While Luke and Jaz were not overly dependent on each other in preschool (as sometimes can be a concern with twins in the same classroom), and they actually got along quite well together at school (as opposed to their up-and-down relationship at home), we couldn't help but wonder if things would be even better if they weren't spending 24 hours a day together. They are so incredibly competitive, and spending every waking moment in competition can't be good for anybody. We're hoping that by giving them each their own kindergarten classroom, we'll be giving them some space to take a break from each other's constant scrutiny and judgement.

If the choice had been up to them, they'd have chosen to stay together. But they've actually given us very little resistance about the separation. And after getting the chance to meet their teachers and tour their classrooms, they were even feeling pretty excited about the whole idea. The other day they asked for some paper and markers to draw with, and after setting them up at the dining room table, I realized that only Jaz was doing the drawing. Lukas explained, "Well, since Jaz is really a better draw-er than me, he does all the drawing, and it's my job to hand him the markers." Any lingering doubt that I had about separating them in school vanished from my mind. I think it's going to be really great for our whole family.

Dropping them off went exceptionally well, and it felt wonderful to leave two smiling kids behind in two wonderful new classrooms. They were so ready for kindergarten!

Yesterday was also Zeben's first day of nursery school. In the beginning of August, we found out that he got in off of the wait list for a school that I'd applied to send him to last winter. I'd mostly forgotten about it, but when I got the call I didn't hesitate to say, "yes, we'll take the spot!" He'll be in school 3 mornings a week from 9-noon. While I hadn't yet reached the point of feeling like I needed a break from him, I'm thrilled to be able to have some time to work on my own projects (sewing, writing, etc!), and I also think it will be great for Zeb.

The first day didn't go exactly as I'd hoped it would (I imagined Zeben smiling and saying, "bye, mom!" before blowing me a kiss . . . instead I had to un-pry his fingers from my shirt and hand him to a teacher to the sound of him wailing), but I'm sure that he will adjust in the coming weeks. He already loves his teachers and was excited to go back again today (and had a slightly less-sad time of it all).

I have this list running through my head of all of the things that I want to do with my 9 hours per week of freedom. I don't know where to begin! I really hope that I can use the time well and be my most creative self. At the very least I hope to be able to use the time to rejuvenate myself enough so that I can be my best, most patient mom self when the kids are home.

No comments: