3/17/09

T-shirt Applique: a tutorial

A couple of people commented in request of a tutorial about how to make fabric-appliqued t-shirts, and I figured why not? Actually I can think of two good reasons why not to. The first is that I'm entirely self-taught and have no idea if I am even doing this correctly, and the second is that once you see how easy it is, you may no longer find me at all inspiring whatsoever.

But, I decided to go ahead and do the tutorial anyway, in honor of baby Ellis who was born to our dear friends Di and Ben this past Monday.

How to Applique a T-shirt in Ten Easy Steps:


Step One: Choose and iron the fabric that you would like to use for the applique.


Step 2: Cut out the part of the fabric that you would like to use; cut generously to allow for trimming later.


Step 3: Get out your package of double stick fusible web. I prefer this kind:


Step 4: Take out one sheet of the fusible web and cut a piece about the same size as your piece of fabric.


Step 5: Now the fabric and the fusible web are ready to be stuck together. Peel the paper off of one side of the double stick fusible web, and stick the fusible web to the back (wrong side) of the piece of fabric.


Step 6: Trim the fabric/fusible web combo down to final size.


Step 7: Iron the t-shirt that you are going to use (for info. about dyeing t-shirts, check out this post).


Step 8: Peel the other side of paper off of the fusible web. The piece of fabric will now have a sticky backing. Stick it onto the t-shirt (and adjust until you have it just where you want it).


Step 9: Iron the piece of fabric onto the t-shirt for about 30 seconds.


Step 10: For the final step, use your sewing machine to zig-zag stitch around the edge of the fabric (which is already permanently stuck in place).


The final product: A "Splashy" tee for baby Ellis!

19 comments:

Susan said...

Funny--I appliqued t-shirts with this *very* fabric last year, and have been meaning to get around to using the rest of the fabric to make matching pj pants (probably for one lucky kid...not sure I have enough fabric for both). I actually just came across this fabric yesterday and was reminded that I need to be getting around to that soon.

JustAnotherJenny said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I wanted to do this, but didn't know where to begin!

JMe said...

haha the last thing I needed was a new craft to get addicted to!!! I can't wait to get started!

Iris E. said...

Simple, adorable, lovely.
Ideas abound...
XO
Iris

PS Wanna join the swap I am collaborating on? So much much fun! http://craftingmamalibrarian.blogspot.com/2009/03/swap-choo.html

cindy said...

I have tried this but after several attempts I always have the same problem: skipped stitches. Do you need to use a certain kind of thread/needle to do this on t-shirts? Please help!

Lex said...

Hi Cindy,

I'm not exactly sure what "skipped stitches" means, but I use regular "universal" thread and needles to match the fabric of the t-shirt ("ballpoint for lightweight fabrics"). I did have to adjust the width and length of the stitches to see what combo I liked best. Hope this helps!

Mama Bean said...

Cindy,
You probably need a new needle. I was having that trouble for a while with my serger and a new needle cleared it right up!
Good luck!

Ninefirefly said...

That's so freakin cute! I want a splashy shirt too!!!!

justsmurfy said...

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to teach us, Lex!

lex's li'll sis said...

Can you make me one? If I send you the fabric and the shirt? Please? I'll be your best friend.

Celeste said...

ooo - thanks for posting this! i've got to read your post on dyeing too!

giggleblue said...

i made a host of shirts like this for the baby after reading your blog on it the first time! sadly, there was no tutorial then, so i had to learn by doing. i will say that wonder under became my best friend after a jammed the sewing machine trying to sew on the applique without it. such an amateur...

Suzanne said...

Ran across your blog whean searching about red head babiees :) You have a beautiful family! These shirts are adorable-where do you get the Organic shirts you use?

Unknown said...

I am so happy to see your post on the topic. Thanks for the working on it and then shared with us. I hope you will be more and more information share in future.
Web Design Quote

~Tricia said...

Thanks for this! I want to try my hand at appliqueing and your site was the first to come up when I googled it.

Melissa B said...

Finally got around to using your tutorial, and it was perfect! Thanks! Miss your blog... :)

Kathryn said...

Thanks!! I made a #4 shirt for my daughter's birthday using your tutorial and I shared your like on my blog:
http://penguinsgift.blogspot.com/2011/01/birthday-recap.html

Alex said...

Hey hey, quick question, if I'm looking to applique onto a babygro/onesy made of t-shirt fabric, what fabric would you suggest I use? I mean I'm just worried that cotton might be too stiff? (I've never really tried it before, so I'm not sure)

HeidiS. said...

I also am wondering if a cotton fabric would be too stiff on a baby onsie. Also, does the stitching keep the fabric from fraying around the cut edges? Thanks so much, i can't wait to make one for my baby girl!