8/14/08

Mom in the Box

With all the packing and painting we've been doing lately, there hasn't been much time for bakfietsing. My legs have been feeling antsy about it. So when my mom called for a ride this evening (her car was in the shop), I got a most brilliant idea and asked if she'd mind a ride in the Bakfiets instead of the minivan. She hesitated only slightly before saying, "okay, I'll do it." I also had to pick up our dinner since we are so passed the cooking stage in our current house of boxes.

This was my maiden voyage with a grown-up passenger on board Bakfietsy Rose. I took the front bench out and put its cushion on the floor of the box. The back bench folds up behind its cushion, making a really comfy looking spot for a bigger person. My mom was a little concerned about her image as she climbed in (along with our dinner in a bag), but she needn't have worried. The only comments from passersby were, "woah, that's cool!"



As soon as we started going, my mom couldn't help but admit that riding in the box is really pretty fun. And it was fun for me as the pedaler too. I didn't notice any difference in handling as opposed to when the kids are strapped in, and it was so great to be able to keep up a conversation on our way home. One fewer trip in the car today. One more excuse to ride my bike. And how sweet to be biking my mom around!

5 comments:

M said...

That looks like so much fun! I wish I was close enough to see it in action.

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I managed to fit my sis in with my son recently (pic - http://measured-response.com/bakfiets/?p=29), and my son loved it, I am sure if everyone schooched up, you could fit your boys in too!

A. Mama said...

anytime you want to come pick me up and drive me around, I'm game!

May said...

That is the absolute coolest. Image preserved.

Zakia said...

Marta!
I haven't seen your mom (or you, for that matter) in ages...