11/6/08

Hardcore

I decided not to give up on the bakfiets as a viable means of transporting the kids in cold weather. And with a little rearranging, I was able to find a way to keep them both warm and helmeted in the box. First, I took the seats out (the front seat snaps out, and the back seat folds up), and covered the floor of the box with cushions (much like I did when giving my mom a ride). I added a sheepskin for extra warmth, comfort and coziness.

Lastly, I tossed in some fleece blankets and then
covered the box with the rain cover to block the wind.

The kids can fit with their helmets on because the lack of benches gives them extra head room under the cover. Luke and Jaz sit next to each other in the back, and Zeben sits rear-facing in the front. It is definitely a warm and cozy solution.


It felt so great to be able to ride into town without listening to a soundtrack of complaints about the temperature. The kids don't exactly love the new set-up (Lukas especially feels a bit claustrophobic whenever he first gets in), but they're being pretty tolerant. I think it looks like heaven in there (I would have loved it as a kid), and the kids are definitely kept toasty warm despite the frosty mornings. The only difficulty is that I've lost all of my under-the-benches storage space, and I need to figure out a better storage solution for the back rack. And it was too cold for me to wear my helmet, so I need to find some type of hat that works with helmets.

When I arrived at the boys' school on the first 35° morning with the new winterized version of the bakfiets, many of the other parents congratulated me with awe. "Wow," they said. "That's hardcore." And, I have to say, I kind of agree. I did feel hardcore, hardcore and free.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a Bakfiets owner myself, with 2 sons, I think that looks FAB!!!
Here in England, it isn't so cold yet, but it will be....!

easygoer said...

Hardcore! I love it.

This is a fun site:

http://bikewinter.org/main.php

Have fun.

Marisa said...

Hardcore? More like Bad-Ass!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so impressed. I had debated a long time about getting a bak and you were the inspiration I needed to push me over the edge. Thank you for sharing your experiences. BTW, your commute is gorgeous!

Cheers!

Sarah said...

you're kind of my hero

sara said...

Jessica at huckleberry-friends.net just led me to your site. I had found her blog when I was researching bakfiets. I live in New Haven, CT and have three sons. I haven't been able to find an East Coast bakfiet dealer, but looking at your photos-- it looks like you got yours from clevercycles. Is this true?

I was all set to buy one three weeks ago & suddenly with the turn of the weather wondered if I should wait until spring. It is good to see the snaps with your winterized bak.

Any advice you could share would be most helpful.

Cheers,
sara

sara said...

p.s. Did I just notice that you have twins sons & a singleton? Mine are six, six & three.

May said...

These pictures make me ACHE for autumn in New England. And to be seeing your boys grow up in real life. Sigh. I love how you are a Mama Folk-Hero to the masses.

Also, impressive stitches on Jaz! I just cut and pulled some out on my little guy (that would be Kyle), which was very fun and nurse-ly.

xoxox May

Anonymous said...

http://bicyclefixation.com/prod_jbhat.html

They assure me that the hat will fit under a helmet.

Anonymous said...

I would recommend Clarijs panniers, but given your skills, I suspect you could make some wonderful Dutch-style panniers yourself.

http://www.clarijscovers.com/

Bike bins are pretty cool too.

http://www.bikebins.com/

Bike, a noun, a verb has done some homebrew ones that I am sure you could do a beautiful job of.

http://bikenounverb.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-over-engineered-bike-panniers.html

Unknown said...

Hi there,

You are very inspirational. My wife and I live in Philly and enjoy bike commuting. Now we have a 4 month old and I have been looking long and hard at the Bakfiets. One of these days I will take the plunge. To the poster who asked about East Coast dealers, we are lucky enough to have one in Philly. Trophy Bikes, check it out.