9/26/09

FYI

Moving with four children = not so much fun. Especially when two of them are nursing, and BOTH parents are required to sit down every so often for a dose of calming, relaxing oxytocin via breastmilk release. . . Seriously, the last thing Lena or I need right now is to be calm or relaxed! We have boxes to pack! We need endorphins and anxiety to keep us going!

This move is really wiping us out in a way that our other moves did not. Or maybe we're just forgetting. Like how you can forget about the nightmare of having a teething baby once your toddler has sprouted his final molar, until you suddenly realize that your 3-month-old (can you believe Leo is three months old today?!) seems awfully teethy, and the horror of it all comes flooding back.

I was trying to be a really organized packer this time around. Our new house is not huge--our smallest yet--and I was thinking how neat it would be to just be able to have everything that goes together packed together. Things we wouldn't need frequently ready to go right into basement or attic storage, only the best of our best art supplies packed separately with other daily essentials. But a couple of hours ago, that idea flew out the window, and once again we're doing things via the clear, dump and tape method. Clear of a surface, dump it into a box, tape the box shot. Write "random shit" on top of the box (since we've moved rather frequently in the past few years, our boxes have gotten a full life's worth of use. It's always interesting to see what they were used for 13 months ago--the last time we moved. "Random Shit" is written on top of possibly 25% of our held-together-with-packing-tape boxes), and add it to the pile. This is why--despite moving every 13 months or so--we have some things hanging around that should not have made the cut FOUR moves ago! But they just keep slipping into a box by the skin of their teeth thanks to the clear, dump and tape method.

I am, at this very moment, nursing Zeben to sleep. In case you were wondering why I'm blogging instead of packing. Tomorrow night, in the new house, I will put him to bed in the kids' room for the first time (up until now he's been going to bed in the family bed every night). He's getting the bottom bunk of the bunk bed. Such a big kid. This evening he said something funny, but Lukas--poor Lukas, hater of all things new and non-routine--was not amused, and I said something about how Zeben was, "small and very funny," (for those who don't know, this is a repeated line of Charlie's in the--much loved--Charlie and Lola show in regards to his little sister, Lola). And Zeben corrected me and said, "no, I'm BIG and very funny, not small and very funny." And Lukas--the grump--said, "you're not big OR funny." And Zeben protested, "but I am cute." Then Lukas--so dismissively--said, "Zeben, you're almost three, you're not cute anymore. You can't be big AND cute anyways." And then Zeben, not easily deterred, not even by his grouchiest brother, pointed out, "but I smell cute." Which of course gave all of us--even Lukas--a much needed chuckle.

And now he is asleep. And I'm off to finish packing for the last time in my entire life. When the day comes, they can bury us in our new backyard. Because we are never moving again.

9 comments:

Woolymama said...

Oof, I can only imagine. Moving (after buying our first house a little over a year ago) with only one small person was a challenge, 4 including a new little one must be a trip! And I completely understand the desire to purge and only bring things you LOVE into your new home. And I also remember clearly that that did not happen in the end. Ahh, good intentions. I hope your new house quickly becomes a cozy sanctuary for the 6 of you!

Holly said...

Thanks for giving me a good laugh! I love moving (currently living in my 16th home) but I've never had to do it with more than one child!

We swore we'd be in this house forever but after less than three years we are starting to imagine we could move again some day.

Mama Cas said...

I have a tip for you....only unpack the essentials when you arrive at your new house. Leave the other boxes packed up and sitting in the basement for a few months. When you finally open them, you'll be amazed at the "random shit" you find and you'll be more prepared to do a big purge. We did this when we moved into our house. Right now, I totally understand your clear/dump/tape method. We've used that method several times! Good luck to you!

Kathryn said...

Wishing you as smooth as possible a move today. Happy new house! :-)

jazzy said...

lol.. funny post lady. Hope you are able to declutter once you move into the new place. I did that last time I moved. threw everything into the boxes and decluttered (without attachment to the stuff, and I don't even remember any of the stuff I threw away) once I got to my new place (which is much smaller).

good luck!

Raene and River said...

I hope you're having a sunny moving day and it's not pouring there like it is here!

Carrie Mac said...

We're also moving, tomorrow! And with just one little one ... I can't imagine the challenge with four. This is our fifth move in three years, second in four months. Time to stop! But what am I doing ... still looking longingly at ways to get out of the city again, now that we're back.

Rebekah said...

Having moved 4 times in the last 1 1/2 years -- and each time to a different state -- I SO feel your pain! It's great moving into a home you know you're going to love, but oh my gosh, the process is usually AWFUL.
Thankfully, I've found when it's all done ... it is just as wonderful as it was bad! So, I hope you're on to the wonderful part now ... or getting there soon.

Unknown said...

The parallels continue - OUR Leo is three months old and we are in the process of moving to another city.

Name (and named with astrological
inspiration)
Short, intense, early morning labor and birth
and now a three month move

These kids have to meet and compare notes twenty years down the line ;)