9/13/09

Putting It In Perspective

On Saturday morning, before Jaz's first soccer practice of the season, I picked my laptop computer up off of the stool in the bathroom (where I'd left it the night before), and went to plug it in downstairs. I wanted to check my email before we left. I plugged in the computer, and tried to turn it on, but nothing happened. Our computer plugs have been finicky lately, so I didn't think much of it. We rushed out the door, had a lovely time at soccer practice (all 6 of us!), and when we returned home some hours later, I again went to check my email. The computer still wouldn't turn on, and I noticed that it was sweating a bit.

"What's going on?" I wondered out loud, "why won't my computer wake up? And why is it so . . . wet?"

"Sorry," said Lukas, coming up behind me, "I went to grab a towel from underneath it, and it just . . . fell in."

The life of my computer flashed before my eyes. I saw it all happening in slow motion. The kids had woken up early that morning and gone to take a bath. My computer had been on a stool next to the bathtub. And at some point during the bath, my precious laptop had been fully submerged in water.

"We didn't want to tell you," Lukas added, "because we thought you might be mad."

I nodded and silently took some space upstairs by myself. I wasn't exactly feeling mad. Not really. Devastated is a better word. Because, while a computer can certainly be replaced, the photo files within it can never be. And I still don't know if any of them will be recoverable (the computer shop was, of course, closed all weekend). And, no, I hadn't backed them up. But I couldn't bring myself to feel angry at the kids. It was I who left the computer in that vulnerable location. It was I who had woken up feeling grouchy and groggy and had welcomed the chance to lie in bed for another 20 minutes while the kids took a bath by themselves. I thought about how if my computer had been plugged in, and if it hadn't been the type of computer that has a fancy magnetic plug, the kids could have been electrocuted by pulling it into the tub. Indeed, when I tried to google, "laptop fell in bathtub" the links that came up all seemed to have to do with electrocution. I'm so grateful that, while my computer was destroyed, my children were left unharmed.

After setting the laptop up in a box of rice (apparently this is the recommendation for wet electronics), I went out to the barnyard to work on taking down all of the fences I put up. My mom is trying to sell her house, and the barnyard will look more presentable without my FBTSOYP contributions. It felt good to bang on something. To pull out nails. And bend wire. And destroy something that I had spent so much time building. To think about all of the fences that had come and gone on this land before. And to remember how different our life looked just 6 months ago. Before the goats, and Leo and our house-buying plans. And when I came back inside, I took a shower. And cried a little. And hugged my kids.

Just now, about 40 hours after I first discovered what had happened, I finally felt brave enough to look through Lena's photo files (on her laptop, which I am now using), and see what she had to show for the last 3 years (my laptop had 3 years worth of photos on it). And while Lena only downloaded a fraction of the photos that I did, I was pleasantly relieved to see that she does have some. She has the photos from Zeben's birth, and a handful from his infancy. She has pictures from our first two beach camping trips. Some wintertime pictures from when Zeben was just a year old. It's not as if the last three years will be without documentation entirely, regardless of the outcome when the experts attempt to retrieve anything off of my hard drive tomorrow.

This series of Zeben at the beach, when he was nine months old, is one of my favorites.


Already obsessed with birds (a fascination that continues to this day),
he'd crawled off after a sea gull.
I followed with the camera.

He turned around and discovered I was behind him
and I think his expression says,
"hey, what are you doing here?"
Of course, he is happy to see me.
The unstoppable joy of a nine-month-old.


Later that day we went for a whale watch.
The sea was quite choppy and we all got sick.
A memory the photographs don't show.

I'm OK with letting go of most of the photographs from the last three years. If that's what it comes to. Because there is still so much in this life that's so good. I can't see dwelling in the land of regrets. If only I had backed up the picture files, as I'd been meaning to do forever. If only I'd put the computer somewhere else before I went to bed. If only I'd decided to join the kids in the tub that morning. I'd rather not get mad. I'd rather choose peace. And happiness. And gratitude. For four children safely sleeping upstairs, while I write these words on My Love's computer. For having lived this glorious life, even if I don't have the pictures to show for it.

16 comments:

Christina said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. I am tremendously moved by your words. Your outlook is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your wonderfully grateful spirit with us.

three feet high said...

My heart sank reading this. I agree that your attitude is inspiring -- but I for one will be keeping my fingers crossed that they're able to recover some of your data! Thank goodness you have so many great photos here on your blog, too.

addie said...

oooh lex i feel so crushed for you. i will give you my snapfish info where i have photos from the fletcher calendars since 06.. (ones that made the cut and those that didn't.) miss you & love you. addie

Woolymama said...

You are entirely right, and how wonderful that you would see the truth in the middle of this.

I wish I had that kind of grace.

Ana said...

I am sorry about your photos. But at least you have the originals, safe and sound! Good luck on the hard drive.

Those are very cute pictures of Zeben at the beach.

me said...

I am so sorry about your photos, i hope they can recover them. I am currently backing up my photos as I type this, so thank you.

JustAnotherJenny said...

Whatever you do KEEP THAT HARDRIVE. I had a hard drive that failed, but I tried periodically in the hopes of retrieving my important photos and thousands of music files. One day, it just worked like magic.

It's entirely possible that your shell is totally fried, but that the data will be retrieveable. Keep hope. And we're all crossing our fingers for you!

I dumped an entire cup of steaming hot coffee into my work laptop. I did fry it, but again, the data was retrieveable. If you know how to remove the hard drive from the shell, I'd recommend doing that and setting it out to dry alone.

Good luck! And I appluad your son's courage for telling you the truth.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear! I learned 2 things about wet electronics in my experiences. The first is...if you don't try to turn it on while it is still wet, the connections don't get fried. If the electronics can dry out before you add electricity, they sometimes work again.
The other trick is to take whatever it is, put it in a big ziplock bag, and add a bunch of those little rectangular things that come in packing (you know..that say, DO NOT EAT). Their job is to draw moisture out of the air. i saved a cell phone that fell in the washing maching once using this trick.
Good luck! You have a wonderful attitude!

Carrie Mac said...

Oh dear ... I know how you feel. I just lost all my writing, photos and music from the last four years. I know how you feel when you kick yourself for not backing it up. I'm so sorry. It's such a loss. But I also know how you feel about putting it into perspective. Everyone is here, healthy and happy ... hang in there, mama!
Carrie (aka Starling on MDC)

Mama Cas said...

I'm hoping you can get your pics back. I consider my pictures to be my most prized material possession, so my heart sank when I read your post. Good luck to you.

Kathryn said...

Early today, I was having a conversation with my partner about how not letting go of the mistakes that we or others make seems to be a direct link to grouchiness and a dead end. And then I read your post and was just so moved by both your ability to express your frustration and your grace and perspective and gratitude and willingness to move forward in this moment of frustration.

That said, I so empathize with the wonder and joy of photos and have felt frustrated when I've lost even a few files with photos. I too have my fingers crossed that you (or a computer wizard at the computer store) will be able to get the photos.

In the meantime, I'm so happy for you that you have your fantastic mental pictures and the peace and love of the glorious present with those you love.

PS I think I've said this before, but the photos you've shared on the blog are wonderful.

-L. B. said...

I know this feeling all to well- we were robbed and my laptop stolen along with all the pictures of our first 5 years together. Fingers crossed for your hard drive. My experience has made me a zealot about backing up and now I will never lose photos and data again. Everyone back-up right now:)

Brooke said...

Keep your fingers crossed. It will cost plenty of money but you may be able to get your pictures back, you may even be able to get your computer to work again if you let it dry out a bit. I almost lost all of my pictures twice, so I can completely understand what you are going through. Good luck!

Holly said...

Woolymama is right, you do have good grace, I felt your pain and your strength reading that. I studied photography and it's very important to me - we've just purchased Time Machine, and I highly recommend it (I know that doesn't sound very helpful)! I reckon you'll get them back but if not at least you have small versions of what you've posted online!

Holly said...

Ah-hem... when I say Time Machine I mean Time Capsule, and when I say we bought it I mean not me. Clearly :)

Iris E. said...

I probably would have yelled, Lex. Oh, so sad...But I am very proud of your very adult reaction to a sad situation.
You have those boys (not to mention your sweet wife) to LOVE UP! That's what counts.

You know it.
XO
Iris