3/6/10

An Old Scar, Revisited

My younger sister, Fiona, was here, visiting from New Mexico last week: a whirlwind trip that included house-hunting (and house-finding, and offer-making, and then deciding she didn't want to live in New England after all), visiting old friends, visiting relatives, being "auntie Fiona" to the boys, and tattooing my wife and me.

Fiona is a tattoo artist (a profession that suits her perfectly), and has been for a few years, but this was my first time going under her needle.


I got my first--and only--tattoo in January of 2001, when I was 20 years old. Lena and I had recently broken up after having lived together for 2 years. I had a new girlfriend, and I went to visit her in Oregon, and that's where I got my tattoo. Before we broke up, Lena and I had been engaged, and had spent some time designing our future wedding rings: a larger band, a space full of tiny stones, and then a smaller band. The tattoo that I chose was reminiscent of our design (minus the stones), and when people asked I told them that it symbolized my marriage to myself.

Lena and I broke up mainly due to my inability to be alone; she had started an outdoor leadership program that involved a series of 10-day trips into the wilderness. The first time she left, I felt so very lost. I had gone from living with my parents to living with Lena, and I had never learned how to live on my own. I left the relationship and jumped straight into a new one. By the time I got to Oregon, I knew that I had made a mistake.

Getting tattooed in my state of grief actually felt pretty good. I mean, it hurt very much, but it felt somewhat relieving to feel pain on the outside, and I was grateful to have a visible scar from this difficult time in my life. At the time, I wrote in my journal:

Went to Oregon.
Tried to Fall in Love.
Saw the Ocean.
Felt like I was going to Fall Off.
Got a Tattoo.
Good to Hurt Somewhere Else.

Taking care of my arm as it healed was a good introduction to taking care of myself in a larger sense. So, while months later I could see that I had been in no state to permanently alter my body, I did not regret my decision. The only thing that has bothered me about the tattoo over the years is that there were a few spots in the larger band that the tattoo artist missed. It has long been my plan to have Fiona do-over the whole tattoo so as to fill in those missing spots.

And that is exactly what she did last week.


Fiona first outlined each of the bands, and then went back with a larger needle to fill them in. After she had done the first outline, I felt fairly certain that she should just leave it like that. Really, I wasn't that bothered by the original errors, and I couldn't imagine tolerating the pain of the fill-in.


But Fiona insisted that I not back-out of my original vision. Yes, it would hurt, but only for a short while. It was absolutely excruciating. Either I had forgotten how much it hurt the first time around, or it actually hurt a whole lot more the second time (Fiona says that tattooing over scar tissue (i.e. a pre-existing tattoo) does actually hurt worse than tattooing on fresh skin). Additionally, my current life is so different from the life I was living 9 years ago: I am now practically the definition of happy and fulfilled, whereas back then I was lost and depressed. And thus, I found my tolerance for this type of pain (I liken it to what I imagine it would feel like to be slowly, deeply scratched with a piece of burning hot, jagged, broken glass) had been greatly reduced.


I left the session--my arm wrapped in plastic wrap--feeling grateful to my sister for being able to persevere in spite of my agony (inflicting pain is, of course, her least favorite part of the job), glad that it was over, and a bit traumatized. In some ways, revisiting the pain of my original tattoo brought me back to the place I had been in when I first decided to get it. I felt lost and disoriented. My arm was quite swollen and sore, and I quickly became painfully aware of just how often my children grab on to me for one reason or another. Ow. I wished that I could go back in time and visit the 20-year-old version of myself, whisper in her ear and tell her what life would look like in 9 years: Lena and I would be back together--married--living in the cutest little house with our four amazing sons. How that information would have carried me through the dark months to come.

In the days since Fiona "re-blacked" me, I have been forced to open a different--deeper, yet invisible--scar in the reactions from acquaintances who don't know my birth history.

"But surely the feeling of getting a tattoo can't compare to the feeling of childbirth!" They've exclaimed, one after another, as if reciting from a common script.

And I smile weakly and change the subject. And think again about myself at 20, so fully obsessed with birth and entirely certain about my life goal to become a homebirth midwife. I wouldn't want her to know this part of the future: what my births would actually look like. That I'd never experience the pain of childbirth.

Often when I meet a pregnant mama awaiting the birth of her first child, I will lie about my births. If she asks, I will say, "yes, I birthed them all vaginally, without drugs. I did it; and you can do it too." Sometimes I feel a bit guilty about spreading this mistruth (I am generally quite honest about my birth experiences, and happy to share them, in the right context). But this is what I wanted to hear when I was pregnant. I wanted to hear nothing but affirmations. I could never understand why people would share their births-gone-awry stories with me, pregnant, naive and impressionable. I never asked to hear anyone's birth story out of fear that it would not be positive. But still, people would offer their stories of unbearable pain, of labors ending in c-sections, either as a warning or simply without realizing that the information might not be helpful.

Thus my "new" tattoo has been unintentionally linked with my births. I look at it (and try not to scratch it; it is oh-so-itchy as it heals), and see its significance differently. I no longer see the 20-year-old, having ink burned into her arm as if to somehow ground herself onto the earth, but instead see the pain that I have--and have not--endured, bringing 3 people into this world. I am contemplating expanding this new meaning by adding something--more rings? To represent the kids?--to the tattoo. Of course, that would involve going through this all again. But I think I am strong enough to do it.

17 comments:

Angela said...

Hi,
I am totally delurking here.

I just wanted to say that while I was pregnant I wanted to hear the "vaginally, unmedicated" story too. But AFTER the c-section with my twins, all I wanted to hear was that other mamas like me had that experience too and that I was not less of the type of woman I wanted/lived to be.

So now when asked by beautiful expecting parents, I just say that I did not have the birth I planned for, but in the end we were all happy and healthy. And that is what really matters to me.

Just a thought.

lex's li'll sis said...

Uggh. You weren't supposed to chose the pictures that make me look like a pasty hag.

Lex said...

Angela:

I am only cautious when speaking with mamas who are pregnant for the first time; I never hesitate to share my TRUE stories with mamas who have already given birth (especially those who have had c-sections or who struggle after a difficult birth of any kind).

Still, I think saying, "I didn't have the birth I planned for" is different from going into specific details. Even with Leo's birth--which was a dreamy, ideal homebirth--it did not go exactly as planned (we certainly did not plan for him to be born on the bathroom floor!). Of course no one should approach birth with rigid plans about how they need or want it to go, but I think all women deserve to remain hopeful about birth without getting bogged down by comments from others about how their births went "wrong" or how ALL that matters in the end is healthy mamas and babies (though of course that is the most important thing). At the same time, I certainly don't feel like birth is the be-all, end-all; truthfully it is only the very beginning of the parenting journey. But, as has been proven many times, a positive birth experience CAN make all the difference in the world in how the rest of the parenting journey plays out (which is not to say that a parenting journey can't be just as "good" without a positive birth experience, but it can definitely be more of a struggle for many mothers).

Fion: Shoot. I guess I just think you're so beautiful all the time that I didn't realize I was picking the "bad" pictures. I love you.

Betty Bohemian said...

to the sis: you wear 'pasty hag' well. To the mama: I was just introduced to you blog this morning and can't get enough. GOOD JOB!!! I look forward to coming back!

lex's li'll sis said...

I love you too. I look forward to the next tattoo- you did better than many do with the pain and I know you'll handle a brand new exciting one even better.

Woolymama said...

This is a beautifully written post. I love the idea of tattoos as marks of where we've been, I have part of my wedding vows in concentric circles on the inside of my forearm, and my husband has the same on his wrist. It is a tough line to walk discussing birth with those who are still pregnant for the first time, and I hate that people in general choose to share scary stories. My own birth was not what I thought it would be - a planned homebirth that ended in transport for a long and exhausting labor. I had to grieve the loss of what I imagined it would/should be, especially now that we've gone four years and no new baby has come to rewrite my experience of birth. Although I am a huge proponent for natural birth, homebirth, birth as a rite of passage and empowering life experience, I also hate the black and white language that sometimes exists around it. In the end, every baby is born, and that is your birth, and you get to own it.

And oh my, if only we could go back to our younger selves and reveal just a little bit.

Lyn said...

Here's where I confess to being more than a little jealous of Leo's birth. As our home birth plans were going up in smoke (again), your family was bustling around, doing all of the prep we had to cut short.

But I'm so grateful that our son's birth was unequivocally good. Despite our share of difficulty, it helped both of us leave some residual pain from our daughter's birth behind, even though it was a different body doing the work.

I do hope that maybe some part of Leo's birth was healing for you, even though it wasn't your body doing that birthing.

addie said...

i love this post and i love you. did lena get more stars?

moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

yay for tattoos!!! lol.. i love symbolism's

Lena said...

I did get more stars. This time I got the Taurus constellation (Lex's sun sign) on my left shoulder blade. Fiona also re-blacked my Leo constellation stars, so the two constellations would look good together. I love the outcome, although both are quite itchy right now.

lex's li'll sis said...

Just put some unscented moisturizing lotion on it when it gets itchy. Do not itch. Can't wait to get started designing your tree. Maybe i'll draw it and Jon will tattoo it.. Sorry about Leo's head, Lena! You're a monster champion Mama so I know you'll pull through, but jeez, what a pain in the arse!

Kathryn said...

This post really touched me. Thank you.

sk said...

Thank you so much for sharing! This is a beautiful story.

I never thought about the issue of "what first time moms-to-be want to hear." It's a really interesting thing to ponder. I've never been pregnant, but I believe that I would want to be surrounded by positive birth stories. My friend who is expecting did tell me to be sure to read the pregnancy books that talk about c-sections and unexpected birth outcomes BEFORE concieving! She says she has had a really hard time reading those things while having a baby in her belly!

akamamaka said...

Dear Lex,

I love this story. Thank you for sharing it. After reading it, I feel even happier for you and Lena than I did before (which was already pretty happy).

Also, I'm in the 7th month of my first pregnancy... hoping things go according to plan, and determined to be strong, but aware that there will be a lot that I can't control. Though it's both scary and reassuring, I appreciate your honesty about your birth experiences.

Love,
K

Unknown said...

Great post, love hearing your thoughts. I had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy (and another between babies 1 & 2) and felt angry afterward when people came out of the woodwork to tell me they, also, had suffered miscarriages. I didn't mind so much about the awful birth stories because I could grasp the concept of a range of experiences, but the absolute silence around the frequent occurrence of miscarriages left me feeling betrayed when it happened to me.

Unknown said...

Oh, and are you going to share a picture of your tattoo? Sounds beautiful! :-)

Raene and River said...

I guess it's been a tattoo sort of week, lol. I just recently posted a tattoo entry as well.