3/26/08

Homebody

We survived our whirlwind travels to New Mexico and back, and have now entered the recovery phase of the trip. Bags of wrinkled clothes are exploding all over the house, toys litter the floor, and we're still on New Mexico time (the kids went to bed at 10 p.m. last night and woke up at 9 a.m. this morning).

The actual travel experience wasn't really that bad. All three kids managed to remain mostly mellow and content throughout the flights and the long car rides, due in large part to three incredibly useful things: our portable dvd player, and each of my breasts. Luke and Jaz watched movies almost continuously on the airplane and in the car, and Zeben was free to nurse whenever he wanted to (I could even nurse him in the car while we were both safely buckled in). We made it through security with 3 car seats, a stroller, 4 carry-ons, and 3 kids (though sadly, our yogurt was confiscated), and our timing was pretty perfect (we didn't have to rush to catch the plane, nor did we have to wait around forever before we could board). All in all, the experience was mostly encouraging, and I felt like we could do it again if we needed/wanted to (not at all how I felt after flying with Luke and Jaz at 20 months to my other sister's wedding).

It was the time (2 days and 3 nights) we spent in New Mexico that I found most challenging. Sleeping in a different bed is particularly hard for us since we are used to the heaven of our ginormous family nest at home. Squeezing all five of us into a King-sized bed is possible, but nobody slept all too well. Eating all of our meals in restaurants was also harder than I thought it would be, as was not really having a place for the kids to just run freely and play. The lack of trees and the barren landscape made me feel thirsty and I longed for the puddles and green spring shoots that we had left behind in New England. I felt unsettled, and my children acted as though they felt the same way.

The best part of the trip was getting to see my sisters and my niece, all of whom were lovely. The wedding went well, and despite Lukas and Jasper first refusing to participate in the ceremony (they were supposed to be co-ring-bearer's with the groom's nephew), and then refusing to go to the wedding all together ("but that's the whole reason we came to New Mexico!" "That's not why I came; I just came for the airplane ride!"), they ended up rallying at the end and walked down the aisle afterall as a co-ring-bearer and a flower girl's assistant.

I didn't bring my camera with me, but here are a few pictures that my dad took:


Luke and Jaz watching a movie on the portable dvd player (a.k.a. our saving grace)
while Lena and I got ourselves ready for the wedding

Standing with the flower girl (their 3-year-old cousin, Araela) just before the ceremony

The beautiful bride (my sister, Fiona) just before she put her wedding dress on


The bride and groom (my new brother-in-law, Jon), cutting the cake

I am so glad that we were able to be there for my sister on her special day. She was so beautiful and it was great to get to see her with her love. But while I'd like to think that I am the kind of easy-going, care-free parent with easy-going, care-free children, who can up and leave for any destination at any point without any trouble, the sad truth is that I'm just not. Zeben is still in the phase where he's pretty much at home wherever I am (read wherever my breasts are), but Luke and Jaz have reached a stage in their development where they're quite attached to their usual routine. Taking them away from it does terrible things to their moods, especially for Lukas (who is "highly sensitive"). And it's likely that they've inherited this unfortunate trait, this love for the familiar, this appreciation for sameness and plainness and boring repetition, from me. Because I am, pretty much, the definition of a homebody. And it is oh so good to be home.

No comments: