4/19/10

"I don't have a Papa."

A couple of weeks ago, we were sitting around in the kitchen with some of our mama and papa friends while our collection of children ate their supper at the table in the next room. And I overheard, as the little ones reached for slices of pizza and settled themselves into their seats, a most fascinating conversation. One of our small friends, nearly five years old, asked something along the lines of "where is your papa?" to Jaz. This particular small friend is quite familiar with our family structure (and the structure of many other families in our town, seriously, this kid could very well work for the census), so the question was asked in a joking tone. But Jaz answered rather seriously,

"I don't have a Papa."

He paused, and so did I, momentarily distracted from meal preparation.

"And I'm OK with it."

He spoke calmly and confidently, as if he had rehearsed his response--and perhaps he has, perhaps this is a response he's had to give many times with friends at school--and he didn't seem the least bit annoyed or bothered by the question. He went on:

"And, I do have 5 uncles, two grandfathers and one great-grandfather."

By this point, curious small friend had lost interest and wasn't listening, and I got the sense that the last bit was added on for Jasper's own benefit, as he reassured himself of the presence of the important and beloved men in his life. And it was that last sentence that really struck me because it isn't part of the story we've told the kids over the years about our family. Though we have always chosen to focus on what our family is rather than what it isn't (e.g. "our family has a mom and a mama" vs. "our family doesn't have a papa"), we haven't purposefully expanded our definition of family beyond the "two moms, four kids" description. In fact, I have always been careful not to introduce the concept of a "substitute father" by pointing out the significant men in the kids' lives, and I certainly would never have suggested that having "5 uncles, two grandfathers and one great-grandfather" would somehow make up for not having a Papa. Not that I think that's what Jaz was necessarily saying when he added those details to his "I don't have a Papa, and I'm OK with it," explanation.

I guess what surprised me was the way that he seemed to be justifying his two-mom family as an acceptable alternative (to a "typical" one-mom, one-dad family) because:

a) he's OK with it, and
b) he has a lot of men in his extended family.

It made me think that somehow he's picked up on the fact that society at large finds fault in lesbian families. Because the truth is that these ARE the issues that people seem to have with the lesbian family structure. People worry that children of lesbians will yearn for a "normal," heterosexual family unit and that they will suffer for being deprived of relationships with men (this worry seems especially prevalent in regards to lesbians raising sons). Even really well-meaning, otherwise supportive, loving people in our life have commented in such a way as to imply that our kids need or would benefit from a "father figure."

I don't deny that the kids might sometimes want a Papa. This is something we talk about, at least with Luke and Jaz. A few years ago, Lena and I participated in a survey of lesbian families, and when we completed it, the woman doing the study sent us a copy of the book, "The Daddy Machine" as a thank-you gift. And despite the b-grade illustrations and the ridiculously rhyming text, Luke and Jaz love it. The general plot line is about a brother and sister--with lesbian moms--who decide that even though they love their two moms, life might be even better if they could have two moms AND one dad. The kids build a machine that makes daddies, and are soon overwhelmed with way too many dads--who do all of the things that dads do--before ultimately deciding to send all the dads back into the machine (aside from 2 who decide to stay and move in next door as lovers?). Frequently after we read this book, we will have a small discussion about what it would be like to have a dad, how our life would be different, what Luke and Jaz would want to do with their dad. Usually the conversation digresses into a discussion of what other kinds of machines the kids would like to make, but I'm glad that we're at least attempting to talk about this stuff now. I'm certain that it will be a much more complicated topic when the kids are older, and I'm glad that we're building some sort of a foundation to perhaps make those future discussions easier.

I have never worried about a lack of men in the kids' lives. Truthfully, there are more men actively involved in loving them than there were in my life when I was little, but even if there weren't, this is not something that would worry me. It is important to me that they be exposed to people of all genders (including transgender and gender queer), but we have never gone out of our way to make sure that they are spending "enough" time with men. We find that it happens quite naturally. Even when Luke and Jaz were babies, I remember that they would often crawl into the lap of the one daddy--among dozens of mothers--who brought his daughter to the local parents' center. It always made me laugh. They know how to get their needs--whatever those needs may be--met. And I really, truly, honestly believe that they would be absolutely fine even if there weren't any men in their lives at all, that a lack of male role models would not necessarily have a negative impact on what kind of men our sons grow up to be (assuming, that is, that they grow up to be men . . . as we say in our family, "most boys grow up to be men, but not all").

All of this is not to imply that we are not incredibly grateful for the men in our extended family who love our sons so well. The more people who love our kids, the better. And it is so very reassuring to me to know that these are the men that Jaz (at least) thinks of when contemplating his lack of a Papa. I couldn't really ask for a better group of "male role models."

Leo (9.5 months) and Uncle Ethan

Leo loving Ethan

Luke and 3 uncles, together on the kitchen couch
Uncles, L to R: Will, Ethan and Max


I would love to hear how other Papa-less families have approached this topic with their children (or plan to, if your kids are still babies). Please share below!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I would be in a Lesbian relationship if I were not single, I had my kids through DI as a single mom by choice. I have always broached the subject as you have- focusing on what we do have vs. what we do not. I have found that there are the simplest ways to reinforce the idea of so many different kinds of families...the latest being the game of Life. My son loves the game, and when you have to get married and add another pink or blue peg person to your car, I always use that opportunity to ask whether he wants a boy or a girl to marry. I do the same using the girl as my passenger. Because we live in a rather traditional area with little diversity, I worry about the outside pressure the kids will get as they get older. I was thrilled to have them watch Rosie O'Donnells documentary "A Family is a Family". Done from the points of view of the kids...perfect for my kiddos to see other kids saying it is ALL ok.
Ellen in Oregon

weese said...

My son thought all families had a 'weese'.
That said he also knew his father, and has a relationship with him still. It was a decision we made. It was the 80's - we were in our 20's... in the long run tho I think its worked out very well for our family.
But your post got me to thinking.
I don't have a Papa.
My dad died when i was very small. My mother raised us alone.
And I answered that same question many times.
As kids...there are always some questions that have to be answered about our families.
As lesbians.. I don't think we're breaking any new ground here :)

Mama Cas said...

This is what I love the most about blogging and the internet in general. In many ways, you and I couldn't be more different. And I love reading about your life and the issues you deal with. After reading this, I am once again reminded that, at the end of the day, we are Moms who want the best for our kids. We want them to know they're loved. We struggle sometimes and wonder if we're doing the right things by them. It sounds to me like your little guy is simply working this all out in his head. And by counting his male family members, he's counting them among his many many blessings....which start with his 2 wonderful Mommas.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful post! Love your family!!

Celeste said...

I read this post with interest - although our family structure is different, we all used donors to conceive our children, and we have male children. I hope my boys will be as easy with their papa-less status. In fact, I chose the donor mostly for his seemingly happy manner and psychological make-up. Right now, our family has a mama and an auntie and two boys, but of course auntie may not always live with us, and perhaps there will be a non-biological papa for the boys someday. Who knows. In the end, I hope they are happy with how they came into being, and happy knowing that I am their primary parent. I know I am!

Carey said...

Great post! We also feel strongly about our children spending time with people different than them, whether that is the color of their skin or their gender or simply the language they speak. Out here in CA, we've realized we don't have many males friends, none really that we spend any quality time with. Yet another reason we want to be in FL, closer to our male relatives and whole bunch of great guy friends! As for talking about families, I'm always doing that "Some families have a mommy & a mama, some have a grandma & grandpa, some have one mommy, some have one daddy & one mommy, some have two daddies & one mommy, etc... families come in all different shapes & sizes". Our kids will never have a daddy, but I don't think it will be an issue if they are exposed to and know a wide variety of families. (and a side note - our donor is never called anything other than a donor for this very reason) Steph grew up with a single mom, my BIL is adopted - so we have non-traditional (I hate that phrase) families already in our family which I think will help too. Our kids do have a Papa though - that's what they call my dad - does that count?? :)

erin said...

This is a brilliant post, Lex. I appreciate the way you reject the implication that every child needs a special male role model to act as a father figure. It is hard for many folks to accept that someone is not "missing" from a mom/mama family structure. Thank you for sharing.

zazie said...

I second Erin's comment!

It was interesting (read:disappointing) that, when we found out both of our twins were going to be female, certain relatives breathed an audible sigh of relief about that fact. As if our children had dodged a bullet, somehow, by NOT being born male and to us. Because we only know about "girl stuff," right? Ah, people. We plan on having one more baby (my wife carrying next time), so we still have one more chance to rattle their chains;)

A different question, but loosely related ... Have you and Lena thought about connecting with potential half-siblings through sibling registry? We just signed up a few months ago, and it's been pretty great talking with some of the parents and exchanging photos of the kids. I like the idea that these other kids are out there, almost like long-distant cousins. I would love to have a sibling reunion one day with all of our "extended" families.

Kathryn said...

Thank you for this post, Lex, and thank you to all those who commented before me. Although my family is a different size and shape than the other family structures that people have described in this post/comment, I'd call us a "Papa-less" family. My partner and I both identify as queer and, though we use a male pronoun for him, neither I nor my partner would label him as "male" (or "female") and we don't call him "Daddy" or "Papa." (We have a different name for him.) Additionally, our extended family structure is a bit unusual. I too have found that it's very hard for others to sometime accept that someone is not "missing" from our family structures, so it's very validating to hear from other families.

In our home, we talk a lot about how love makes a family, but I've been thinking about if and how to approach the topic of being a "Papa-less" family or about how different families are comprised of different people or something. It helps to hear from others who are thinking about this. And it's always heart-warming to remember to read posts and comments like these because I think they reinforce that while our families may be different than each other in some way, there are also such strong commonalities. Thank you all and thank you Lex for continuing to share your family with us via this blog.