7/22/10

Sharing Sleep

I love sharing sleep with our children.


I more than love it. I believe in it, deeply. I am grateful for our decision to make our bed a family bed nearly every day*. I am absolutely certain that our children are happier and more secure for the time they've spent sleeping with us, and that I am a happier and more confident mother for having listened to my instincts in this regard (which is not to imply that children who don't sleep with their parents, or parents who don't sleep with their children, are necessarily any less happy or less secure/confident; I'm only referencing my own kids and my own experience). I would make the same choice again, if I had it to do over (and, notably: Lena would, too).


When I implied in my last post, somewhat facetiously, that having our kids in our bed might not have been the wisest choice, I knew that I would later have to write this post: about how even though choosing to have a family bed might seem like a sure-fire way to send one's marriage (and sex life) directly into the doldrums, that's not what happened for us.


It would be easy to assume that co-sleeping might result in reduced physical intimacy, romance, and connection in a marriage. But I think that doing so would be to "not see the forest for the trees." A truly strong physical, romantic and emotional connection would not suffer for the parents in a marriage choosing to share sleep with their kids. The reality for us is that as lesbians in a long-term relationship, as parents of small children, as lactating mothers, Lena and I have had to overcome a lot of obstacles, stacked against us in the bedroom. Did adding babies to our bed serve to compound those other potential issues? I suppose it could have, but I don't think it did. Co-sleeping has done so many positive things for us--as a family, as co-parents, as partners--that I think the benefits of our family bed have far outweighed any potentially negative side-effects.


First of all, we've gotten a lot more sleep as bed-sharers than we otherwise would have, and any marriage benefits from well-rested participants. Beyond that, we've gained self-esteem (for having trusted our instincts), we've suffered less anxiety (because I honestly cannot imagine how I ever would have not slept with our babies; I would have been in a state of panic), we've respected each other and each other's innate mothering skills, and we've gotten to appreciate each other as the nurturing people who we are (I still melt when I happen upon a scene of Lena snuggled around one--or more--of our kids). Waking up together as a family is intimate and cozy. It feels natural and genuine and invigorating. And it's some of the only snuggling time that we get with our bigger kids.


But, so, then, what is the solution? If we can't blame the family bed for our relationship struggles, what can we blame? What can we do differently as we begin the difficult work of trying to repair and rebuild our marriage? I think that the main reason why things began to deteriorate for us is because we failed to prioritize our marriage, forgetting that it wasn't something that would just automatically receive attention in our busy, busy lives. We were prioritizing a lot of things: the kids, our community and social life, laughter, our love of the natural world, our jobs, keeping the house in relatively good shape . . . and we somehow took for granted that our marital connection was intact and along for the ride. But, of course, this is a rather simplistic way of looking at it all, and in truth there were many different factors that all contributed to Lena and I losing each other in the way that we did.


We are not going to stop sharing sleep with our children. We hope to let them self-wean from the family bed, and we hope that they don't choose to do that all together for a long, long time. But we are changing some bad habits that we'd gotten into in relation to the ways that Lena and I had been choosing to spend our (limited) alone time together. And we are absolutely going to be prioritizing our need for intimacy--of all kinds--as we move forward.

This is a really hard time, still. We are struggling, daily, sometimes hourly, to see each other and to feel connected. But as I reflect over the choices that I've made, and that we've made as a couple, I find it helpful to point out not only the places where we tripped, or messed up, but also the things that we got right. And I think that the creation of our family bed extraordinaire falls into the latter category. Our bed has not failed us. If anything, our bed has been a kind of glue, keeping us together in the face of all so many challenges, reminding us every morning of what we want this life to be: soft, warm, colorful, welcoming, cozy, and with lots of room to spare.

*yes, definitely, there are days (or, more specifically: mornings, post restless nights) when I fantasize about sleeping 10 hours without anyone small touching me, breathing next to me, or tossing and turning beside me.

8 comments:

Sara said...

stunningly beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Lex. This post is so beautiful. Your writing and photographs are so raw and powerful. I can feel the surge of love for your family radiating through each letter...thinking of you all.

xo erin

Rose said...

You said it much better than I when when I commented on your last post. Of course my comment was in response to someone else's comment, not in response to you. I know you love sleep sharing. :)

Thanks for another beautiful post.

Melissa said...

Again, this co-sleeping two mama family will sleep better tonight (with our two littles squished in the middle)... Your pictures are stunning Lex! Thank you so much. I love reading your blog - it really connects for me on a level. It helps so much when you feel like no one else knows what your family is struggling through...

Kathryn said...

Lovely post. Thank you for sharing.

Vange said...

Thank you for writing and sharing this, Lex. As my partner and I dream and imagine what we want our future together to look like, co-sleeping with our child/ren is definitely something we feel strongly about. While kids are still a few years off for *this* lesbian couple, it is so helpful and reassuring to read about others' experiences as lesbian parents.

Mama Cas said...

I love the part about remembering what you've done RIGHT in the past...not just focusing on the mistakes. It sounds like co-sleeping is one of the proudest moments in your family history. I'm so glad that it's brought so much closeness for you all. Thank you for sharing your point of view.

Co-sleeping was never an option for my husband and me. We both have a strong need for quiet time at the end of the day. And I often think that the key to our marriage is this small, child-free chunk of time every day.

The beautiful part is that we all get to pick what works best for our own families.

Lex said...

Mama Cas: we need quiet time at the end of the day, too (do we ever!). We aim for a 7:00 to 8:00 bedtime exactly for this reason. Our kids go to sleep in their own beds (in their own bedroom), and we have our bed to ourselves, usually until about midnight (Leo wakes first, followed by Zeb, followed by Jaz, and then Luke usually sleeps through until morning). By no means are we going to bed at the same time as our kids do! Evening alone time is precious and essential.

Lex