7/13/10

Journey

This evening, I photographed all four kids eating ice cream on the front steps.


Leo was quite pleased to have been entrusted with his very own (tiny) ice cream cone, and calmly sat beside his brothers, obviously feeling so big.

Leo, 12 years months old

It was just about 12 months ago when I wrote about eating ice cream for dinner. At the time, Leo was just a wee newborn; it was one of our first outings as a family of six. We had no concept of where this first year with our lion baby would take us, of the fact that we would be moving again so soon, saying goodbye to the goats, buying and painting a house, adding and subtracting a puppy, and settling into such a very different life from the one we had been living before our fourth baby was born. One might expect that Lena and I would have known to anticipate how quickly Leo would change and grow, but he seemed to shed his infancy even faster than his brothers before him, so eager to join their pack.


And somehow, amidst all of the excitement and chaos and joy, Lena and I lost sight of each other. We took our love for granted, and forgot to nurture it. We failed to prioritize our relationship. We neglected to even keep it on the list of "things to think about." And suddenly, something that we never imagined could ever be on the line--our marriage--was in question. We began seeing a couples' counselor in March, and at first we seemed to be making progress towards finding each other again. But then I got overwhelmed by the ocean of distance between us, and doubted that Lena and I could ever reclaim what we had once shared. I let myself slip further and further away, until I hardly recognized my wife--or my life--at all anymore.


Everything exploded a few weeks ago, when it became clear that the state of our marriage was such that we could no longer continue living as we were. Lena and Leo went to stay with her extended family for a week, while she and I both faced the full extent of the damage and let our hearts break. We realized that choosing to reconcile would mean choosing to start over anew, that our previous relationship was over, and that it would have to become something completely changed were we to remain married. And ultimately, we concluded that we will move forward together, that we will commit ourselves to the hard work of rebuilding a foundation of trust, and making our marriage stronger, better and more true than it's ever been. While it feels so good to be sharing my days with Lena again, to be seeing her and connecting with her for the first time in months, she and I are both wary of how easy it would be to let ourselves slip back into our old life without really addressing the issues that nearly cost us our marriage and intact family. We want to do this work, and we want to do it well: to be thorough and fully attentive. I hope that people will be respectful of Lena's and my privacy and not ask for details about all that went down between us this spring, but I am planning to write here about our new journey: the quest to really find ourselves and each other again.

"You know this means I'm ALWAYS
going to require my very own cone, right?"

Unabashedly optimistic as I am, I can't help but recognize the blessings that we've been gifted alongside so much pain, loss and devastation. Remembering my love for Lena, truly remembering her most amazing self, and choosing--once again--to commit myself fully to a shared life with her, to our vision of what we want our family to be, feels so inspiring and beautiful. I love Lena so much, and letting myself feel the full weight of that love--that completely crushed me when I thought it had been lost forever--takes my breath away. I am overwhelmed with gratitude to have been given this opportunity to make myself a better, more honest, person and partner. Lena and I get to be falling in love for a third time, now with new-and-improved self-awareness and conviction about what we will demand of each other and our relationship. The knowledge I have learned--and continue to learn--as I have awakened to my own desires and needs, and accepted my faults and failures, is not anything that I will be willing to give up, and is information that will help us to ensure that we don't repeat our past mistakes.

photo by Jaz

Thank you, readers, friends and family members: for continuing to check in here despite my blogging negligence, and for supporting my family and me through this stormy time. It was difficult for me to write--in this place of joy and love--while everything in our home felt so fraught and uncertain. But now I find myself wanting to write more than ever, to hopefully help other families to avoid the path our marriage suddenly took, and to inspire people to hold onto what they believe in--even when it seems that all hope has been lost.

23 comments:

De, Christa, and Murphy said...

Long time reader, first time commenter here, sending you, Lena, and your boys much peace and love.
The way you speak of your life - both the hard and easy parts - is always filled with such respect and honesty.
Thank you for sharing your life with me! I was one who checked in frequently and appreciate any blogging you have the time, energy, and willingness to do. I realize that I have taken your blog for granted, because I am one to sit and catch up on blogs but rarely take the time to comment. It should be a give-and-take, and it begins today!
Much love, from one married lesbian mom to another...
~Christa in Olympia, WA

Anonymous said...

No words. Breathtaking post.

Woolymama said...

I don't have much to say, other than I hope you hold on tight to each other - yours seems a real love, and worth saving.

I look forward to hearing about your journey, and the blessing of consciousness you've found in this.

Angela V-C said...

Oh Lex! I'm so sorry to hear that things have been so hard for you and Lena. Building a life together isn't easy, and I'm really glad to hear that you guys are committing yourselves anew to each other and your family -- it may be hard work, but it's the most important work you can do.

Pass some love Lena's way as well. Both of you are awesome, and so is your family.

keight dukes said...

i thought i'd be happy you were back but i am overwhelmingly MORE happy that yall are gonna fight to make it work. rooting for you and fighting the good fight that is marriage right alongside of you. love!

Finn Peter said...

Glad you are back!

Lisa and Betty said...

Thank you again for your deep honesty Lex. I'm really glad that you are back for so many reasons. You and Lena are an inspiration both as a couple and as a family.

Kathryn said...

Lex, I stumbled on your blog from MDC, but what has kept me reading is your honesty and the spirit that flows through your blog. Whether writing about a little thing that brought a laugh or a serious topic, you write with such heart.

I wish you and Lena love and light and healing and hope as you embark on this next chapter of your lives together. In your mental traveling bags, I wish for you the strengths and joys and knowledge learned from your past together without the weight of any past difficulties or pain. And I wish you awe, wonder, delight, and acceptance as you discover again yourselves and each other. I will be keeping you and Lena and your beautiful family in my thoughts.

And, last but not least, the pictures of your children eating ice cream cones are fantastic. And mouth-watering!

Holly said...

I hope you've felt the swell of love and support from your readers during this time, I know I've been thinking of you and hoping for the best for you and your family during the last couple of months or so. My very best wishes to you both in this enlightening and frightening journey.

zeebah said...

No explanations necessary... glad to see you back & glad to know that you guys are working it out.

Sometimes we forget in the day-to-day that we need to nuture the relationship with our partners just like we nuture our relationships with everyone else.

Love and strength to you & your family.

Megan said...

My partner and I find that if we don't get time alone together, like an official date, about once a month we really start to feel the distance. It doesn't take much to help us reconnect just a couple of hours over coffee spent only on us and we feel recharged. If we don't get that time it always ends up with us fighting late at night and me crying in bed at 2 am because I feel like we can't communicate over the distance.

I am committed to continuing our relationship of love and partnership because life is so much better with his love.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
three feet high said...

you're brave to write about this and braver to undertake this journey. having been in a similar situation i can tell you that, in my experience, the work you guys are doing is so, so worth it. being married and remaining in love is hard and important and exhausting and rewarding and sweet. good luck to you two in the months ahead -- i hope you feel supported not just by your friends IRL but by all of us out here who admire your family and want to see it grow and thrive.

Mama Cas said...

What a roller coaster you've been on! I truly and sincerely hope everything works out for you both and that your family can stay intact. I wish you lots of love and re-discovery in your marriage.

crossingthepath said...

Hi Lex - your blog has been such an inspiration to me - it was the first one i started reading when i found MDC and has filled me with ideas and visions for what I want our queer family to look like. Marriage is really hard and I worry a lot about what will happen when our baby arrives (we are newly pregnant). you are always so generous of spirit to share your life with its joys and struggles here with all of us. I hope you know how much we lurkers appreciate you out here! wishing you and your family the best of luck.

JoeANDHannah said...

Glad you are back. Sorry you have had such a hard time.

I've been married 15 years, and I assure you that crises just do happen periodically. About 3 years ago, I was very, very close to being divorced. My spouse and I survived together. You can survive, intact, as a family.

It is clear that lots of love exists between you six.

maybest said...

Thank you for your honesty. I would love to hear as much as you are willing to share. My partner and I slip and always come back together quickly but we do not yet have the family that you have with all of its joys, stresses and worries. The marriage you may save is my own. Much love.

Melissa said...

As another two mama family that often fights to bridge the distance with both of us working time/energy intensive jobs (outside of intensive mothering!) your continued honesty makes us want to work harder, love more, and believe that we can make it too! Thanks Lex!

Unknown said...

thinking of you and your family. it was really nice to click here and see some new words of yours. thanks for sharing a bit of your life with us - i've come to care about you all so much!

Anonymous said...

Amen. Hearing, Listening, and Waiting here for more.

Jess said...

Lex, I've missed you so and I'm so sorry for the heartache you and Lena have been feeling. I'm so glad you and Lena are fighting for your marriage and your family and are digging in to rebuild what may have felt shattered. You are all worth it!

I can't believe how big Leo is now! Love him! And I love the picture of you and Lena.

sara said...

Wishing you & Lena loads of happiness together. Wishing your family of six lots of fun, laughter, & togetherness. Best of luck. Best of love.

Amanda said...

Hi Lex! I have read your blog from start to finish more times then I care to admit, but this is the first time I've been able to leave a proper comment. This blog is actually the first I've ever read and I just can't get enough of it! It has given me the drive to start my own blog (hopefully soon).
The way you interact with your family and tackle life's joys as well as the difficulties with such honesty and acceptance is just awe inspiring. And although my partner and I don't have any children yet, aside from our many fur babies (3 german shepherd dogs and 6 cats), I hope to have a relationship our children and be able to interact with them so easily as you do with your children- all of whom are utterly adorable by the way! I wish you and Lena an abundance of hope, joy, and strength as you strive to hold on to the immense love and respect that you have for each other and for your family.
Hope to read more from you soon!