4/29/08

Babywearing: Not Just For Babies

I made my first Mei Tai carrier when Lukas and Jasper were 13 months old. I entertained a brief fantasy that I would become a WAHM (work-at-home-mom), making and selling baby carriers for a living. I decided that I would call them "Happy Baby Carriers" because they made for very happy babies. Here I am modeling the hot-off-the sewing machine first ever Happy Baby Mei Tai with 13-month-old Jaz:What I didn't know at the time--what I couldn't even imagine--was that babywearing was something that would outlast diapers and nursing and the toddler years all together. Tonight I cooked dinner with Jasper in that very same carrier, which perhaps should now be called the "Happy Five-Year-Old Mei Tai."The mei tai has always worked to bring each of my 3 kids into a calm and centered mode. And I guess that because I never stopped wearing Lukas and Jasper (though I did stop wearing them at the same time when I got pregnant with Zeben), the magic never stopped working.
This evening, Jaz was acting particularly defiant and obstinant--and ran across the street to play with our neighbor despite my just having asked him not to. He then continued to run away from me, and I had to chase him down with a scrambling Zeben under one arm and Lukas holding my other hand. Not fun. Jasper's "punishment" was 1/2 an hour on my back while I made dinner.
It really is amazing how well this works to mellow him out and remind him of our connection. After a couple of sulky minutes, he started asking questions about what I was cooking, and by the end of the carrier time, he was happy and snuggly and kissing my head. He ate a most excellent dinner and was exceptionally pleasant for the rest of the evening.

Lukas often needs some carrier time in the morning before school, so I'll pop him on while I make the kids' lunches. It gives him just the confidence boost he needs to happily get ready for school and leave the house without a fuss.

Do you think it will still work when they're 13?

2 comments:

A. Mama said...

i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does, b/c being worn is also a special soother for Elijah...
you and Jaz look so adorable (both way back when and yesterday!) xoxo

Sarah said...

I was talking to DP about this post the other day and we agree that it's so much better than the "time out" where the kid spends time alone on the floor or a "time out chair" feeling mixed emotions of sadness and guilt. How special and true it it that punishment is really about reminding our children that their connection to us is why they can;t run willy nilly across the street when we ask them not to.

i love your blog.