4/22/08

Procreation creations

I always notice pregnant women everywhere at this time of year. The winter coats disappear and the bellies that have been tucked away all winter are suddenly walking down the street in broad daylight. But this year it really seems like there are an especially large number of pregnant women in town, and some of them are actually friends of mine! So exciting. One of the most exciting parts about it is that I have great excuses to make all sorts of tiny things for these new tiny people.

Gilly birthed her gorgeous baby boy, Eamon, a week ago, and today I dropped off a tiny tee for him and a playsilk/Super Big Sister Cape for Gilly's 3-year-old, Miryam.


For whatever reason, I seem to have been born with an especially large dose of pro-procreation programming, and nothing makes me happier than seeing pregnant mamas and mamas with new babies. I've been fascinated by them for as long as I can remember. And, really, who can blame me? When I was 4 or 5 months pregnant with Zeben, I went to an Ani Difranco concert. She was newly pregnant herself, and her hormonal state made her especially lovely that evening. It was my first time hearing her sing the song, "Reprieve," which includes this repeating line in reference to women having babies: "To split yourself in two is just the most radical thing you can do." And that line comes through my head every so often and I just feel it so strongly. How amazing and true.

No comments: