5/24/08

"BikeMomto3"

I recently joined the www.bikeforums.com online community, and my username is "BikeMomto3." When we moved down into the "city" from the hills last July, one of my main goals was to become a better biker. And by "better" I not only meant that I hoped my biking skills would improve, but also that I would come to use my bike in better ways, not just for recreational purposes. Zeb was only 8 months old when we moved, so I was a little hesitant to really go all out with the biking last summer. I did dip into the world of bike commuters, and I biked around town with the 3 kids (Zeb in a seat on the front of my bike and Luke and Jaz in a trailer) several times. But I certainly didn't stop driving, and I didn't really consider my bike to be a good car substitute. I started researching alternative bike set ups (our neighbors enthusiastically bike their kids around on an xtracycle, which has been quite inspirational for me), but I didn't come to any conclusions.

This summer, I am newly motivated to meet my original goal. Zeb is bigger and more able to enjoy biking (and not quite as liable to fall asleep after five minutes on the bike!), and gas is just way too expensive to justify driving anywhere in biking distance. I really think that before long everyone's going to be driving less and biking instead.

Zeben and I have been biking all over the place for the past several weeks. I have been trying to stick to a rule of *only* biking or walking if our destination is within 3 miles of home, and I've been mostly successful (there have been a couple of runs by car to the new food co-op, but I think I've figured out a way to get there by bike the next time I go). My legs are getting stronger, and I'm becoming a much more confident biker on the road. Biking is bringing out this huge amount of passion in me, and I feel so inspired and energized.

I love having Zeb in the little seat on the front of my bike! It's so much fun to notice the things he notices (birds, dogs, and squirrels for the most part), and to have little conversations with him as we get where we're going. He loves biking, and asking him if he wants to go for a bike ride gets an enthusiastic, "YeAH!" Sometimes he tries to move my hands out of the way so that he can steer, but otherwise he's a very pleasant passenger, and I find that I much prefer riding with him than riding by my lonesome.

Luke and Jaz are not the best bike passengers with our current set up. They're really getting to be too big for our Burley bike trailer (that we bought when they were about Zeben's age), especially when they're in there at the same time. And they think riding in the trailer is boring. I can't say I blame them too much since it's not much of a view from down there, and I also don't really love the experience of riding with the trailer. I feel nervous about a driver's ability to see it when I'm riding in traffic, and I also don't like that the boys and I can't even really have a conversation while they're back there (because they can't hear me). I've been spoiled by having Zeben up front where we can really share the experience.

I can't wait for our new family bike to arrive in the next couple of weeks. I'm really hoping that I will be able to bike most everywhere we need to go, perhaps to the extent that we can officially become a one-car family, and that I can truly live up to the name "BikeMom."

2 comments:

mezzaluna said...

awesome! neighbors of mine have an xtracycle, too. for now the chariot cougar 2 is working for us, though i need more cargo space. what's your new and improved way to the co-op?

easygoer said...

Hooray! Adorable photos and a very cool enthusiasm for biking; it's such a beneficial thing to get involved with for your family, on so many levels. I always highly recommend the book _Effective Cycling_ for anyone serious about biking, particularly in traffic. The author has a really interesting take on both the logistics and politics of sharing the road, if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Effective-Cycling-6th-John-Forester/dp/0262560704