5/26/08

What's even more fun than playing "I Spy?"

. . . Give up? Need a hint? Making up riddles, of course! Today while Zeben was napping, and Lena and I were sunning our pasty pale legs on the front porch, Jaz and Luke came out to share with us a new joke that Jaz had just made up.


"There were two guys and one guy said to the other guy, 'oh you need some gas in your truck?' and the truck guy said, 'yes,' and then the other guy said, 'well I'll just put some farts right in!'"

He followed it up with this stellar knee-slapper:

"Um . . . why is your body full of ketchup?"

Which he then clarified for us, "you know, it's not really ketchup, it's blood! Ha, ha, ha-ha."

We decided to teach the boys about riddles and proceeded to spend the next 45 minutes or so making up riddles (or trying to at least). Lena got us started:

"What can you always see but never touch?" The Sky

Lukas responded with this one: "What's blue and you CAN touch it?" The Ocean


I offered up the only riddle I remembered of the top of my head: "What's black and white and read all over?" The Newspaper/A book

To which Jaz responded: "What's red, white and blue and rhymes with brag?" A Flag

We were all laughing pretty hard for totally different reasons.


The best one I came up with was: "What has wings but no beak?"

Lukas guessed the answer, an airplane, almost instantly and was so pleased with himself (just about as pleased as I was with myself for having thought it up).

My favorite riddle that Lena came up with: "What has nipples but cannot nurse?"

Jaz was the one to guess the answer: "You!" (Mama/Lena).

The end result of all this riddling was a definitive conclusion that making up riddles is even more fun than playing "I Spy" (our usual default). So I'm guessing (no pun intended) that there will be many more riddles to come. There will, unfortunately, probably be just as many fart jokes to come as well.

No comments: