3/29/09

Making Tortillas

I've always loved baking. When Lena and I first got together, I used to make up recipes for baked goods and write them down in a cookbook that I called "The One Day Bakery Cookbook." I grew up thinking that baking "from scratch" meant using a box mix. Once I had my own kitchen, I found myself passionately learning how to really bake from scratch, making brownies and muffins and cakes over and over and over again until I felt (and Lena agreed) that I'd perfected the recipes. That they were professional quality and that I really could sell them in my very own bakery one day. I loved feeling like I could make delightfully tasty treats with just a few key ingredients that we'd generally have on hand (or that any of our friends would have on hand if we were at a party when the urge to bake hit).

Since having kids, I haven't felt the same kind of inspiration about baking sweet things, though we certainly do plenty of it what with all of the celebrations going on around here. Lately, I've instead been motivated to try baking different kinds of breads from scratch. It all started when I wanted to make quesadillas (one of our weekly staples) for dinner and I realized that I had forgotten to buy tortillas at the store. I was about to abandon that dinner plan when I realized that I could probably make tortillas. How hard could they be?

I consulted with chef google, and my first attempt turned out to be quite simple and delicious. Since then, I've been making the tortillas from scratch every time. Like most things you make with your hands, it's incredibly satisfying work.

Tortilla Recipe

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 3/4 cup warm milk
Combine all of the ingredients and then turn the (sticky) dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for a couple of minutes, until smooth. Divide the dough into 6 pieces (or more if you want smaller tortillas), and let the balls of dough rest for about 20 minutes (I usually prepare the remaining quesadilla ingredients during this time). Then roll out each ball into thin, circular sheets and cook them on a hot cast iron skillet (about a minute per side).

rolling out the dough

Jaz loves to watch them cook, and tells me when they need flipping.

When bubbles form, the tortilla is ready to be flipped.

Post-flipping

Once the tortillas are done, we use them straight away to make quesadillas. We usually include spinach (sauteed with garlic), chicken breast (also sauteed) and monterey jack cheese.


Jaz has been very helpful in the kitchen lately. On Saturday morning he even made us all the most delicious French Toast, completely by himself (he learned how at school!). He enjoys preparing the quesadillas.


All ready for a tortilla cover and some time on the griddle.

Finished quesadillas

I don't feel like this tortilla recipe is perfect yet (and Jaz would definitely agree, since at dinner tonight he complained that something wasn't quite right), so I've still been tweaking it. I think I might need to try using bread flour next. I'd also love to try and make a gluten-free version so that Lukas can eat more than just the fillings on quesadilla night.

And, after our fabulous outdoor hot dog roast this past weekend (it was just too beautiful out, we couldn't come inside), I'm thinking the next thing I'd like to learn to make from scratch is hot dog buns. How hard could they be? And then once I master sandwich bread (I'm suspect it's the trickiest of all), I'll never have to buy pre-packaged bread again. And that will be pretty cool.

12 comments:

May said...

Nice! I have batch 2 of your pop-overs in the oven right now (I had to use a regular old muffin tin, and am wondering if that's why the first round had to be scraped out of the pan despite all the buttering - tasted awesome though). Remember when we used to make Daffodil Cakes? xo

Lex said...

Hooray for Popovers! Yes, I do think the pan could be the issue . . . our popover pans are non-stick.

And yes, I do remember making daffodil cake with you . . . and shortbread! I'd love that shortbread recipe if you still remember it (I've tried to recreate it unsuccessfully a few times).

BonnieBelle said...

Part of the reason I hate living in apartments (or houses with badly designed kitchens) is that it's so much harder to bake. I love to spread out, and I feel like I just can't in our tiny kitchen. I'm excited to try out this recipe, though.

kat said...

this is too funny, we just had quesadillas with our chick. tortilla soup. we'll need to try this out when we finish this package. can we straight substitute whole wheat flour for all-pourpose?

Christie Rowe said...

Corn tortillas! more traditional and also gluton free and fat free. Just have to buy Masa Harina at the mexican food market, or fresh mass if you are so lucky to find some. Just mix with water, let sit for 30 min or so, PRESS into a tortilla shape and cook the same way. I make them all the time so fast and delicious! Only drawback is you have to make them smaller (usually 7in or so) and they are not as flexible for rolling as the wheat ones.

Kalisis Rising said...

Ooooh, I love homemade tortillas. They were a frugal issue for us, but once we found out how yummy they are, we've never gone back.

I use a much smaller around and shorter dowel to roll mine. I think I picked that tip up from a message board and they're so much yummier when I can get them paper thin.

Either way, those are some pretty yummy looking quesadillas!

As a new reader, I enjoy your blog immensely!

May said...

Shortbread (and shortbread dough - delicious)!

I remember 1/3 a cup of sugar and 1 cup of flour, but I forget the butter amount. Half stick? Enough so the sugar and butter gets all fluffy before you stir in the flour.

I remember when ten-year-old you told me butter-and-sugar was your favorite food. :) xo

Andrea said...

Oooh yummy! I make corn tortillas all the time, but my flour tortilla recipe calls for a lot of lard, and even subbing butter or shortening still makes them scarily fatty. I can't wait to try this out (with whole wheat flour, perhaps?)

Katie said...

This sounds so easy and so yummy! I'm totally going to try it the next time we have tacos/quesadillas. Thanks!

justsmurfy said...

I just tried your carrot cake recipe (from last Nov) over the weekend and it's delicious! I'm definitely going to try the popovers soon. Keep those yummy recipes coming! ~Alison

Candyce said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog after coming across it on the Mothering boards. I'm a fairly new mom to a 9mo little girl, and like reading about what I have to look forward to as she gets older :)

One of our favorite bread recipes, even though it can dry out pretty quickly if not well wrapped, is the Amish White Bread recipe from Allrecipes.com. It is a treat with butter, even though we try to do whole grain breads most of the time.

Best, Cee

Candyce said...

Oh -- also, in regard to the Amish bread recipe, you may want to follow the comments about reducing the sugar. We like it as it is, but I hear it may be too sweet for a plain bread.