3/6/09

More Than Muffins

When I was a kindergarten teacher, I'd often put out muffin tins for my students to use while sorting any number of sortable objects (buttons, beads, wooden shapes, shells, etc.). But, for whatever reason, I never thought to use one as a snack sorter until today. I got the brilliant idea from the photos in this blog post. Genius! Not only was the muffin tin snack sorter a hit with the kids, but it helped to inspire a certain otherwise completely uninspired snack chef (that would be me). I even kind of had fun.


Here are the testers, watching our new favorite show, and snacking on melon, apple, nuts, pineapple, baby carrots and cheese:


I'd love to know what other folks think up for muffin tin filling. Besides muffin batter, of course!

5 comments:

BonnieBelle said...

A dipping sauce for the fruit, such as honey or yogurt, or whole grain goldfish.

JMe said...

What a fantastic idea! Presentation is everything. We are GFCF so this is perfect except we have to skip the cheese. I have finally caught up reading your entire blog btw and I love it. I have gotten lots of great ideas for my own kiddos and I am very very jealous of Bakfietsy Rose.

Gillian said...

We do a similar thing with tiny bowls on a bigger plate that we jokingly refer to as "toddler tapas". Instead of tooth picks, though, Miryam uses those plastic corn-on-the-cob-poker-thingies. You know what I am talking about? The yellow fake ear or corn that you stick in the ends of a real ear of corn so you don't burn yourself. Do those have a name???
It's well received here as well.

Danielle said...

This is what I did last October for our "bento" muffin tin:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AAicgLEnyYU/SMsLxf-X33I/AAAAAAAABX4/iKW_XPKeBjs/s1600-h/PICT3244.JPG

kyrie said...

Isn't this fun? We've done hummus or other dips, too- something about the presentation makes it more fun (and more likely that they will eat)

I've also served snacks in fancy paper cupcake wrappers! :)