5/5/09

Kids and Kids

We are settling into our new routine as the keepers of FOUR goats, and everyone is enjoying the chance to witness such extreme cuteness on a daily basis.

Chive's doeling (girl) has officially been named "Lou Lou Unicorn." Lukas really wanted to name one of the baby goats "Lou Lou" after the first goat he ever fell in love with, at age 2 (a goat who belongs to friends of ours), and Araela really wanted to name one of the baby goats "Unicorn" because she just loves unicorns. So we combined the two names for our beautiful little doe (who, purely by coincidence, is all brown except for one white spot, right where her unicorn horn would be!).

Lou Lou Unicorn, 2 days old

The little buckling (boy) has been named "Harvey Milk" because we wanted to think of something PRIDE-related (since the goats' birth kept us from the local Queer Pride Celebration), and Harvey Milk seemed especially fitting since we are raising dairy goats (plus, "Milk" was one of the very few movies Lena and I went to see this past year, and we both loved it). Little Harvey looks a lot like a mini-Chive, with a bit of Petah thrown in (the white band on his side).

Harvey Milk, 2 days old

It is no surprise to me that we (as humans) have chosen to refer to our children by the same name used to refer to young goats: kids. Both types of offspring are curious, energetic, mischievous, adorable and snuggly. And for me, as a mother of twin human kids, the similarities between my own early post-partum days and the first 48 hours with the new goat babies were rather striking.

Witnessing the sibling bond between any two-of-a-kind living creature definitely does increase the sweetness component.

Sleepy Newborns: Lou Lou and Harvey

Sleepy Newborns: Luke and Jaz

That said, doubling the number of babies who need to be fed almost certainly increases the level of nursing difficulty.

A cheerful Lena helps a glaringly grouchy me
to latch babies onto my engorged breasts.


I held Chive still in hopes that she would let her babies
latch on to HER engorged teats.


Eventually, both Chive and I figured it out and nursing became an enjoyable experience.



Because I help many new human mothers who are struggling with breastfeeding their babies, it was actually somewhat of a relief to me to see that other non-human mammals can also have difficulty figuring things out in the beginning. That said, I had to wonder if the fact that Chive comes from a line of bottle-fed goat babies contributed to her initial resistance to nursing, the same way that human mothers who come from families where formula-feeding is the norm sometimes have a harder time at first. I always wonder about how much of breastfeeding should be instinctual, and how much was meant to be learned. Perhaps the same is true for goat nursing.

Similarities aside, there is no question about the fun energy created when human kids and goat kids come together. There is much prancing about, squealing, nibbling and smiling going on at our place these days as these two curious breeds of young ones get to know each other.

11 comments:

Megan said...

Those kids are beyond cute. Such tiny littles! Can you post a video of them? I've been showing my human kids the photos but they would flip over a video.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I giggled like a little kid at the pic with you trying to breast feed. Wow you looked really ticked! Thank you for keeping us updated on the new additions...too cute!

Iris E. said...

I may have to blog about this myself sometime, but last night I found myself drawing Sylvan an emblem to represent his alter-ego, NooNoo Man! Protector of babies who want to nurse! Picture two breasts with a big "N" in the cleavage area.

I have no idea how the conversation topic started, but he was appalled to hear that some people think nursing mothers should go nurse their babies in the bathroom instead of the airplane or the restaurant.

So he's ready to be a nursing advocate. Perhaps his NooNoo Man slogan could be Anytime, Anywhere, Baby! I'm all for it. Finally, a superhero I can get down with!

I am loving the vicarious goat rearing experience I am getting here.

XO
Iris

JustAnotherJenny said...

Wow, you looked ANGRY! If I hadn't recognized Lena in that photo I wouldn't have believed it was you. you always look quite cheerful to the rest of us! :)

Congrats on becoming a goat mama (again)!

Rose said...

Beautiful goat babies and thank you so much for sharing the details! I always love reading your blog, but this entry was particularly heart warming, especially because breast feeding is dear to my heart.

Lex said...

I was angry! I was 5 days post-rather-difficult-pregnancy-and-birth, with breasts the size of small watermelons (and just as hard), trying to nurse two fussy babies (who couldn't latch because my nipples were flat due to the engorgement), sitting naked wrapped in a damp towel (post-hot shower attempt to help my breasts) . . . and it REALLY didn't seem like a "kodak moment" to me (also in the room but not pictured: my parents, one of whom took the photo). Of course, now I'm glad to have this documentation, but at the time I was definitely NOT PLEASED!

Anonymous said...

This was an awesome post! It brought tears to my eyes..the comparison of human babies to goat babies..hopefully one day my "kids" can have some goat kids of their own :)

Figboiler said...

i love all the photos! all of the kids- human and goat- are so adorable. and i think it's so sweet that you helped your mama goat learn to nurse. such a good lesson for us humans- everyone needs help!

i've just recently been pointed to your blog by my wife. who loves it all- the boys, the animals, the crafting.

i went to smith and graduated in 02. i don't remember you (although lena looks a little familiar.) i asked a friend (bev jones) and she remembered you! :) small world.

anyways, my wife and i are just starting on this adventure to parenthood. come visit us at: http://www.figboiler.typepad.com/figboiler

take care, justine

280 Main said...

I love this post. Those are just the best breastfeeding pictures ever. I could just "feel" that look on your face--the exhaustion washed over me as soon as I looked at it...

Your children are just beyond adorable. Thanks for sharing all of this.

Anna said...

I love this post. I just seem to keep returning to it and reading it again, just thinking about what an ENORMOUS DEAL it is to have kids, and especially twins. Thank you for sharing photos of the early days.

One question about goats. I used to live on a community where they keeped a small herd of female goats for milk. Every few years they would have to get pregnant (I assume to continue milk production?). If the baby goat was female, she became part of the herd, but if the baby was male they would have to castrate it when it was a few months old (so it wouldn't impregnate the female goats) and then they would slaughter it when it was full grown since they wanted to keep the herd to a manageable size. So, as someone who's knowledge of goat husbandry goes no deeper than the information (possibly misinformation) I've shared, I'm curious about what your plans are for the baby male goat?

Lex said...

We're hoping to sell little "Harvey" as a pet/companion animal (i.e. not for food; he really wouldn't make very good food anyway since he's a dairy goat, not a meat goat or a hybrid). If we can't sell him/give him away, I suppose we'll keep him on as our pet (maybe train him to pull a cart?), but that is the worst case scenario since we will quickly outgrow our barn if we keep all of the boys.