6/11/09

Birth Plans

For the past few days, Lena has been working here and there at putting together a mix of songs that she thinks she might like to listen to during labor. I am impressed by her vision and motivation (in my own very pregnant state I went as far as planning to make cookies in early labor, but didn't even make sure that we had the ingredients on hand), and we have all been enjoying the results. Last night we listened to a bit of the mix while doing the dishes and broke out into some spontaneous dancing and singing (made all the more entertaining by Lena's 38-week belly). Here's a clip:



Lena and I are both hoping that we can carry some of this energy into the upcoming labor. That the birth of our fourth son will be at least part dance party. Our midwife told us at our last prenatal visit that she anticipates our birth as being "a really fun time," and I hope that her perception is correct, at least from Lena's perspective!

I myself have never experienced labor--a fact that separates me from the majority of mothers in the world--and it is uncharted territory in mine and Lena's relationship. We have never been through a labor together before. So far everything that Lena has experienced in our process of TTC and pregnancy has been stuff that I had already experienced firsthand. I've understood how deeply tired she's felt, and how emotionally fragile. I know what morning sickness feels like and the crazy sensation of feeling a baby moving inside you for the first time. But I do not know what labor feels like, and I've never pushed a baby out of my yoni before.

What's surprised me in thinking ahead to the birth of Leo is that it really doesn't bring up any negative feelings for me about the way in which our first three children were born. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of negative feelings about my birth experiences, and I can't imagine that I'll ever fully recover from them emotionally. But contemplating Leo's birth is not a trigger for me. I'm just so glad that we're getting another chance at fulfilling our original birth plan, the one we had before getting pregnant with the twins. I'm so excited to get to be a part of this birth, to be in the midst of that birth energy, to get to witness my Love going through such an amazing transformation and to be there supporting her. And I imagine that the birth will be rather healing for us all. Healing and fun.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

i LOVE your dance party video. and you'll have such nice memories of all the songs when you are laboring. i'm so glad that you are both putting together such a nice plan for the labor and arrival of Leo. i'm sure it will be a fun and healing experience- it is so often what you make of it/ put into it- even when things don't go exactly as you may have planned. are you doing a homebirth? will the older boys be present? i think maybe before you said they were going with family?

we can't wait to hear the news of Leo's arrival.

Lex said...

Thanks, Justine :). We are planning a homebirth, and we're not sure yet if the older kids will be here or not. They will be under the supervision of my mom and sister, who live next door, but they will be free to come and visit us (one at a time, most likely) through the labor, and then if it feels right, we'll have them be here for the actual BIRTH. But I think that the labor/birth will probably be the most alone time Lena and I have had together in a looooong time, and I am really looking forward to that aspect of it. So romantic.

Lyn said...

Gail also talked about feeling that the birth of our second (via my body) might be healing for hard/difficult aspects of the birth of our first (via her body). That was back when we still thought we'd get to have the home birth for number two, but you know? It actually did turn out to be a healing experience for both of us, even though we were once again thrown from our plan for a home birth, and things went more or less nothing like we'd originally hoped.

(However, I have been trying to convince her that we should just keep having babies until we actually pull off the home birth...I'm not sure she appreciate my approach to family planning)

Crossing fingers that you and Lena get that wonderful homebirth!

Iris E. said...

I love that video! Lena all winded from her dancing...so dear! Oh send her my love for shaking her booty and belly around for us!

You will be a wonderful birth team. I can't wait.

And sometime, let's talk about how it feels to have a baby come out of your yoni. Such a singular experience! But really, any way a baby comes out of a mama is pretty singular in my mind. Nothing more magical/amazing/incredible.

So many blessings on your family!
(And if you want, I can take some detail shots of the rocketship construction, or better yet, perhaps you'll come to Maine sometime...)

XO
Iris

Ditto said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I feel all full of love and energy and I don't really even know you. :) Thank you. You and Lena and your family are in my thoughts as Leo's arrival gets closer.

craftymama said...

1- i LOVE you guys- what a great little clip- so fun
2- i hope that Lena's labour/Leo's birth is healing for YOU. maybe it will be everything you wanted from before.

I keep checking to see if you've got a new baby yet-

thinking of you guys- Sarah

JustAnotherJenny said...

Lena looks absolutely beautiful... your whole family is just gorgeous!

I have a big smile on my face right now.

Intertwined said...

It made me cry. What a beautiful, vibrant family you have! :D