6/14/09

Not So Boring and Rational After All

As I said a week ago, we were supposed to go on our annual Cape Cod camping trip last weekend, but we ended up backing out, claiming "nestiness" and unfinished pre-baby business. We just felt a little unsure about packing up the family--and the minivan--with Lena's 37-week belly in tow. But apparently, we feel just fine about heading out to the Cape with her nearly 39-week belly! Because the bags are nearly packed, the car is half-way loaded, and we will be beach-bound first thing tomorrow morning.

I'm not sure what changed exactly--aside from Lena getting more pregnant--but I think it had something to do with our incredibly generous friends Avi and Marc inviting us to come and stay for a couple of nights in the fabulous beach house that they're renting for the week. In other words, we will not be camping, we will be sleeping in beds, or at least, under a roof. And there will be a refrigerator and running water and all of that fancy electricity-requiring stuff. We've also been watching a decent number of birth videos lately and it seems that in the birth-video world there is a theme of very pregnant women running naked through ocean waves. And I want to see my pregnant woman running naked through ocean waves, if she's brave enough to try it. Plus, Lena says that she's getting bored of hanging around here waiting to go into labor, and she thinks the beach would be a good distraction. The kids will certainly be well entertained.

I'm not at all worried about Lena going into labor while we're gone. Well, maybe just a teensy tiny bit worried. Statistically speaking, she should have at least another couple of weeks to go (since first pregnancies typically last until 41.5 weeks, which we won't hit until July), but even if she does go into labor on the Cape, I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to get back home before Leo arrives. Not that I find that option--I picture us loading the kids into the minivan in the middle of the night while Lena balks at the idea of sitting still for 3.5 hours--all that appealing, but it's unlikely enough that it seems a risk worth taking.

What is more concerning to me is the fact that we are leaving our little farm behind. There will be plenty of extended family members here to look after our animals, but this will be their first time holding the reins of the operation, and I'm just a little nervous about it. I think it's hard for me to let go of the responsibility (plus my beloved sister proved herself to be a completely inadequate milker when I attempted to teach her how this morning; it was almost funny except for the part where I'm leaving her in charge of the milking for two days), and I keep thinking of more reminders to write down. All that said, it will be nice to have a little vacation from the daily barn chores, and have only our 3 sandy children to keep well fed and hydrated.

Tomorrow night we will be going to sleep feeling all salty and wind-blown after having spent the afternoon playing with the ocean and collecting beautiful beach treasures. And we'll have one last chance to get a picture of ALL THREE of our kids, sitting on a bench in P-town, to add to this series:

Luke, Zeb and Jaz in P-town
June 2007


Luke, Zeb, and Jaz in P-town
June 2008


I'm sure I'll have lots of beachy adventures to share when we return!

3 comments:

Mrs. A said...

I hated sitting around waiting for labour to start. I think it's a great plan to have a little adventure before Leo arrives. I hope you have a wonderful time!!

boo said...

You are brave brave women. I am incredibly impressed. Have a fabulous time running naked through the ocean.

Unknown said...

i am so into it. i love the cape in june (we were married in chatham 3 years ago tomorrow!). i am sure you will have an amazing time. good for you for being so spontaneous! i'm impressed. safe travels!