6/4/09

The iDye Trials

One of my very most favorite crafty things to do is to dye. I love color and I love the process of changing something from color-less to color-full. And the only bummer about the project of dyeing is that it is a whole lot of work, generally requiring a day of attention and an exhausting mess. Not to mention my paranoia about potentially inhaling toxic fumes or accidentally dyeing something that I didn't intend to dye due to splashing or spillage. The procedure I had been using involved adding large quantities of salt and precise amounts of soda ash fixer to the dye baths, the math of which always left me feeling beyond puzzled, and often scrambling at the last minute to compute some fractions. Last spring I did two dye batches (5 colors each time), once by myself, and once with a group of friends, and when all was said and done I was so wiped out from it all that I've been kind of putting it off and dreading have to dye again, as much as I love the results (and as much as I need more dyed t-shirts to applique!).

When I first heard about the new iDye product, made by the same company that makes the dye I had previously been using, I was more than a little skeptical. The first two words on the packet are "NO MESS." Really? How could that even be possible? According to the information online, you simply toss a packet of iDye in your washing machine, add 1 cup of salt and 2-3 lbs. of dyeable fabric, and then you just go about your life as if you're simply doing a typical load of laundry, when instead you're actually dyeing! I didn't believe it would work, but I had to try it.

I decided that the newborn cloth diapers would be the perfect medium with which to test out this revolutionary dyeing technique. I understand that some people may feel like diapers are designed to catch pee and poop and that making them beautiful is nothing more than a waste of resources, but I feel differently. The first time I learned about the idea of diaper art was in a Mothering Magazine artice many, many years ago (before I ever had babies) that featured the company Fuzbaby. Fuzbaby makes some of the most gorgeous diapers I've ever seen, and was a leader in the world of beautiful cloth diapers. Since Fuzbaby diapers are sewn by hand and all of the many components are dyed by hand, it's no wonder that each diaper is incredibly expensive. I'm not sure that anyone could really afford to use a stash of these. But just the idea of them existing--of diaper art of this caliber--makes me smile.

There are many reasons why people choose to use cloth diapers, but the top three are probably enviornmental, economical and chemical. All of those reasons are very important to me, but I think one of the main reasons why I've stuck with cloth diapering (for the most part) over the years is that it's simply more fun to use cloth diapers. I've never heard of someone finding joy in using disposable diapers, while there are whole communities of people obsessed with the excitement of using cloth. And part of what can make cloth diapers so enjoyable is using really beautiful diapers. Yes, they're designed to catch baby excrement. But they also have the power to brighten your day and make you smile.

The diapers that I've bought with Leo in mind were mostly natural colored when I bought them. I appreciate the pureness of natural fiber, but it doesn't move me the way color does (and you know that before long anything natural-colored is going to be splattered with stains). So, as soon as the diapers arrived, I decided that I would have to dye them. Along with the all-natural diapers, I also had 4 diapers that were colored only on the outside (so as to have no dyed fabric next to baby's skin--very pure, but also a little boring), none of them colors that I loved, and I was excited to see what would happen to them in a dye batch.

The first colors I chose for the iDye trials were chartreuse, gold ochre, and brilliant blue. I started with the blue because I was least attached to it turning out well. The procedure was shockingly easy. I filled the washer, tossed in the dye packet (avoiding all contact with the toxic-if-inhaled powder), dumped in the diapers, and topped it off with a cup of salt. The only trick to the whole thing is to not let your washer get to the rinse cycle, but instead to switch it back to agitate for a longer period of time. I think I left the fabric agitating for about 30 minutes. After it had been rinsed, I added some synthrapol (a detergent used to keep dyed fabrics from bleeding in the future), and washed the load again. The results were wonderful! The dye was very even and the color was very rich. Next I did the chartreuse, which didn't turn out as well since I accidentally let the washer rinse itself out after only 12 minutes of agitation. A couple of the diapers came out perfectly, but the majority of them were a little too neon-yellow for my liking. Not to be discouraged, I simply planned to dye that batch over again. But first I did a batch of the gold ochre, which also worked fabulously. It was so liberating to be able to fill the washer and then just go about my normal life, wearing my normal clothes and everything!

I ended up dyeing the chartreuse/neon-yellow diapers again using a packet of olive iDye. I loved the way it turned out (much better for a newborn's potentially jaundiced coloring). Then, just when I had decided that iDye was the best invention of the century and was feeling especially pleased with my results, I made a huge error. I put all 3 colors of dyed diapers together in the washer, and washed them with our usual laundry detergent. When I went to move the clean load over to the dryer, something didn't seem quite right. I realized that all of the blue diapers were gone. They had been replaced by a new sea-foam color. And the yellowy-orange diapers were looking a bit more dull and muddy. Only the olive diapers looked exactly the same. Apparently, the olive dye had not been sufficiently rinsed with synthrapol before I put all of the dyed diapers together, and everything got mixed up with the addition of olive dye.

After feeling devastated for about 10 minutes, I decided to fall back on my usual "everything happens for a reason" pick-me-up, and concluded that I love the way the new colors look post olive-mishap even better. They are a little less bright, which I like, and a little more earthy-looking, which I think is fitting for who I imagine Leo to be (with each of our kids, I have associated them with a particular color while they were inutero. Jaz was blue, Lukas was orange, and Zeben was purple. All 3 of those boys then went on to like those colors best (really!). The color I associate with Leo is green).

Without further ado, the results of my iDye Trials:

The four Dream-eze fitteds
(I bought these as seconds, but see nothing wrong with them)


This diaper was natural colored, and took the dye very well.
I love the avocado color that resulted from the chartreuse mixed with olive.


This one was chocolate colored on the outside, and natural on the inside.
Now it is a richer brown, with green lining.


This diaper was plum-colored on the outside, natural on the inside.
Now it reminds me of the ocean.


This diaper was plum-colored on the outside too (just like the one above).
Now it's the color of the forest!


These amazing bamboo diapers by bumgenius
make up the majority of Leo's diaper stash.
They are so soft, and I love the way the colors
turned out to be less-than-typical "baby" colors.


I also dyed a handful of hand-me-down newborn prefolds
that once belonged to Ezra
(though it's hard to imagine they ever fit him!).
All of the stains disappeared and there is
nothing boring about these prefolds now!


A stack of previously pale and "baby" colored reciving blankets
that jumped in the washer with the diapers.


A sampling of all of the fun results.

Will I iDye again? I certainly will! It's all I can do to keep myself from iDyeing every day! Seriously, I highly recommend this product and guarantee you that it really is easy and mess-free. I will never go back to doing things the way I used to. Add some color (and fun!) to your day, and then please send me a link so I can share in your excitement (and I'd love to know how other colors turn out)!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Your new diapers look wonderful, and I love the not-so-babylike colors. This product sounds great! It makes dying sound utterly do-able for me.

I am nervous about doing any dying in my washing machine for fear than when I wash the next load of my clothes I will come out with some unintentionally dyed garments. How do you make sure that your machine gets totally clean afterward?

justsmurfy said...

Okay, earthly diapers and blankets - check. But where's the baby!?! So excited for you guys and can't wait to see Leo pics really soon!
-Alison

Phoebe said...

The diapers look great!

I think I may have missed a step (very tired mamma)how did you end up having two different colours on the one diaper?

Lex said...

Kerry--

I made sure that the water was running clear in the washing machine after I did that final wash (with all 3 colors). If you were worried about it, though, you could always run a quick cycle with nothing in the washer other than synthrapol.

Alison--

Leo could be here anytime in the next 35 days, but probably not for at least another couple weeks.

Phoebe--

The two-colored diapers were already two colors when I bought them (natural on the inside and plum or chocolate on the outside), so the different colors of fabric took the dye differently. Dyeing things that are already a color (especially a color I don't like, such as baby blue) is one of my favorite ways to dye.

Hope this helps clarify!

JMe said...

ok the idye seems way less intimidating than the way you used to do it!! I can't wait to see little Leo's bum covered in them!

Celeste said...

Awesome! So glad to read this review. I've been wanting to dye for a while, but the process you described before is definitely too much for me.

Do you have a front loader, or a conventional washing machine?

HennyBeeMama said...

wow, thanks for this great review! i have a stack of stuff waiting to be dyed. i have just been waiting for the time and motivation to drag the buckets out to the lawn. but this sounds so great!
did you get the dye locally?

Lex said...

I have a top-loading washing machine, but the directions said that you could use the iDye in a front loader as well. I think you would just have to be careful to not put too much fabric in since you want there to be enough water for the dyeables to be able to move freely (and the thing about front loaders is that there's less water used).

I did buy the iDye locally, at The Guild in Northampton. They had a decent selection, though they didn't have all 30 colors in stock.

michelle said...

Ooooo! Your timing is perfect. I have been eyeing the i-dye rack at guild, but I was skeptical about how even the results would be. I love the rich, earthy colors you ended up with. I think i will definently be following suit!

Susan said...

I'm not going to lie: I'm looking at the large selection of procion dyes that arrived a week or two ago, and the stack of used newborn Kissaluvs and a bunch of prefolds that I got a couple days ago with just a *smidge* of resentment--seriously wishing I'd heard of this iDye a few weeks ago.
I'm consoling myself with the remembrance that I have a bunch of friends coming over to dye with me (the image of all of us gathered around the washing machine in my basement is not nearly as appealing as that of us in the backyard drinking tea and lemonade whilst dying our various fabrics), plus I wanted to tie-dye a thing-or-two, *and* I bought quite a few colors, which would translate to quite a few loads of laundry.
All that said...I think I'll try the iDye the next time around--the diapers look great.

Mama Bean said...

Awesome!
I've been hanging onto an iDye gold ochre packet for weeks waiting to build up the nerve to try it. I'm also pretty excited to try their color remover, although that can't be done in the washing machine, alas.
Mariah

serene kitten said...

Everything looks gorgeous! I would love to try the iDye once I get my own place/washing machine. :3

Elizabeth said...

Lex! You totally motivated me. I shlepped myself down to Dharma Trading (it's less than a mile from my house!) and picked out three packets of iDye, Emerald Green, Fire Red and Ochre. I've been dyeing all afternoon: pillowcases, Soraya's underwear, Arjun's socks and some prefolds for a friend due with a baby this month. It's all so beautiful and I've never dyed anything before. I can't wait to do more. Soraya wants purple sheets to go with her green pillowcase. I think I'll do our old towels for the kids too. Maybe all those white cloth napkins too.... oh the possibilities!

Steph said...

http://3hourspast.blogspot.com/2010/05/dyeing-to-show-you.html I read your review of iDye and encouraged me to play with it myself.

JesPlayin said...

Hi!
I found this post while looking for reviews on the iDye. I'm so excited to try this now!
I want to know if you have any experience with using a thickener with the iDye. I intend to use this dye to screen print, and would love to know if the process remains the same. I'm so excited that the dyes appear to be easy to work with and inexpensive. Thanks for any input you may have.

teddy gorey said...

Hi and thanks for the hints. Did I miss something (regarding how you did the two-toned diapers)?
Are the two-color fabrics sewn together or did they come out that way because of the original colors?
Thanks so much for the synthrpol hint -- they have replaced it with a non-toxic products that does the same thing. Also would love to know the names of the colors you used. thanks so much!!

Carbon said...

ok- I know you posted this ages ago... I have been eyeing up the chartreuse, but thought it might be too bright as well... did you put more fabric in when you did teh olive overdye? it just seems like it got more of a wash than a solid dye... I love teh colour that turned out though! (leafy green is my colour!!)

George Beinhorn said...

The colors are wonderful. I dyed some 100% cotton things to the color of our monastic order ("brilliant blue" in iDye parlance) and they came out well. I used a commercial washer in our community and simply removed the clothes after the first spin-dry cycle and hung them up to dry. Will wash them cold (with no other colors - thanks for the warning!

WhyWeLoveGreen said...

Thanks for this post! I've read some other reviews of idye that say you can only wash things that have been dyed using idye on cold (after the initial dyeing process) or else they will bleed. Have you found this to be the case? Do you wash your diapers on hot? How have the colors held up and have they bled onto anything else? I appreciate your help!

Steph said...

I find idye does bleed over time. It's not such a big deal because I separate clothes by color anyway, but even on cold I get some bleeding. I think the dye is fugitive with time.