8/10/10

Balance

I feel like there are so many posts I could write with this title: Balance. So much of life as a mother and a partner and a professional person is about balancing commitments, priorities, desires, needs, dreams and reality. But this post is about the actual physical act of balance, specifically Zeben's balance.

Zeb first started riding his hand-me-down balance bike in March of 2009, when he was 2 years and 4 months old. At the time he was barely tall enough to sit on the seat properly, and didn't do much riding at all. He'd just walk it around, legs straddling the bike, believing that he was riding it. But by the end of that summer he had grown enough so that he fit the frame well, and he was able to zoom all the way to his preschool from our house (about 1.5 miles). Here is a short video of Zeben riding his balance bike in March of 2010, nearly exactly one year after he first started trying it out:



This summer he has biked to and from town at least a couple dozen times, and I noted that as we walked, his feet were making less and less contact with the sidewalk; he was spending the majority of each ride gliding. A couple of weeks ago when we took Luke and Jaz to buy some new bicycles (bigger, and with gears; they can keep up with their moms on the bike path now!), Zeb fell in love with the tiny 12-inch two-wheeler bicycle in the shop, and we decided to let him get it. I figured he was ready for a real bike, and while he probably could fit on one of Luke and Jaz's newly discarded 16-inch bikes, I knew he'd be more comfortable learning to ride on a smaller one (he is a bit short for his age, still wearing mostly size 2T pants now at 3.5).

We let Zeb ride around in our driveway with the training wheels still on the bike (it came that way) for the first day (he thought it was quite fun), but on day 2, I took the training wheels off. Zeb was not pleased. He did not believe that he'd be able to ride the bike (and he yelled about it so loudly that I'm certain the whole neighborhood heard). I promised him that if he really wanted me to, I would put the training wheels back on after he tried to ride without them. And so he agreed to try. Here he is, 10 minutes later:



Clearly, the balance bike taught him to balance quite well!

"Wow!" I exclaimed, after he'd gone several yards, "you're really riding it!"

"What?" accused Zeb, showing no pride, "you thought I couldn't?"

Oh, my beloved curmudgeon: won't you ever be excited about anything? But the truth is that I think Zeb is a little proud of himself for having learned to ride his bike. Since that day, he's just gotten more and more adept at it, and can now turn circles and everything. I'm so glad for him to be becoming such a confident little bike lover. I don't generally think of him as being a gross motor kind of kid, but this summer he's learned to pump on the swing, and now to ride a pedal bike, and it's great to see him enjoying the physical abilities of his body more. It was also really cool to get to see him go through the full cycle of the balance bike experience; it just makes so much sense! What a fun and stress-free way to learn to ride a bike. I can't wait for Leo to be big enough to start the process (then again, maybe I can; daredevil baby is going to be trouble on wheels!).

9 comments:

Jeanne said...

Go Zeben!!!

ashley said...

what a wonderful post. i love seeing the process of him learning on the balance bike. i remember the picture of him " riding" the bike when he couldn't even sit on the seat. i can't wait until edie is big enough for her own balance bike, which my parent's have already "claimed" as one of their presents for her second birthday (they just moved back from the netherlands where balance bikes for kids as a first bike are the norm!) :-) thanks for sharing, and way to go zeben!!

Woolymama said...

Our little one has a balance bike and we so love it. Watching her makes me feel so wild about her abilities, it's amazing to watch them zoom along. We are going to put the pedals on soon, after about a year of her having it - (it's convertible) and I hope she takes to it as quickly as Zeben did!

Vange said...

Go, Zeb!

sara said...

Yay, Zeb! It is just so magical.

All hail the balance bike. Our little guy used his balance bike a lot & then this summer, it occurred to us that he likely could ride a pedal bike. First try-- and he did. Loved that we skipped over the whole training wheels thing. However, he would likely be better served on a bike with 12 inch wheels rather than the 16 inch brother hand-me-down he has because he hasn't yet mastered stoping/braking and he can only put down his tip toes. He's blown through *another* pair of Crocs, dragging his feet (toes) to stop a la Fred Flintstone. Our older guys jut got new bikes too with gears (wow!) for their recent birthday. Big changes.

Angela V-C said...

Yay Zeb!! That's so awesome! The videos are great :)

Interestingly, H never really took to her balance bike, but she absolutely loved her two-wheel scooter which I think really helped her with the balance she needed to bike. (We're thinking about skateboard now...)

@woolymama -- Those convertible bikes seem like such a good idea - then it's not a shift to a whole different bike, just a difference in how you ride!

Unknown said...

We had the same experience with Emerson! We had a DIY balance bike for exactly a year and then one day Scott came to tell me while I was nursing Elliot that he'd given Emerson a regular bike and he could ride it. By the time I came outside he was riding around like a pro! One of my earliest memories is being terrified as my dad pushed me down an incline (a mountain in my memory) at a nearby school so I could learn to ride. I'm so glad our kids will never have that experience and it will always just be natural for them!

Rose said...

Did Zeb know how to pedal before he got the pedal bike? Like, was he adept on tricycles and whatnot?

Lex said...

Rose: Good question. Yes, Zeb did know how to pedal a tricycle; he learned at preschool (we don't have one). That is an important ingredient indeed (Lukas could balance loooong before he could pedal; this is why he didn't really start riding a two-wheeler until he was nearly 5.5 years old: http://totallysmittenmama.blogspot.com/2008/04/first-time.html )