8/8/10

Rainbows Aplenty

We timed our recent trip to the Cape to coincide with the annual event of Family Week, but only somewhat on purpose. We'd been planning to send Luke and Jaz to camp during that week, but learned at the last minute (um, because we waited until the last minute to try and sign them up) that the camp was full. Suddenly plan-free, we decided to call up some campgrounds on the Cape and see if there were any campsites available, figuring we could vacation now and send the kids to camp later (there is room in camp during the last two weeks of August, when we'd previously hoped to vacation somewhere). Family Week always takes place during the first week in August, and I've always been curious about it, so this seemed a good opportunity to check it out.

As luck would have it, there was one campsite available at a campground close to the kids' favorite beach, so we snagged it and started packing. I noted that we had missed the chance to register online for Family Week, but then also saw that registering for Family Week costs nearly $200, and decided that we'd skip out on officially participating and simply hope to pick up on the Queer Families vibe without attending any organized events (to be perfectly honest, organized events of this nature give us pause regardless of price tag).

We first headed into P-town on Wednesday evening, on the lookout for queer families and some kid-friendly dinner. Of course, P-town is always swarming with queer folk (in the most fabulous way), but we were hoping to notice an increase in the number of gay and lesbian parents. And we did, but the impact was minimal; I had expected something more drastic. Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing each and every queer family who we crossed paths with, but was disappointed to realize that we were still way out-numbered by straight families. Since we live in an area that is home to an abundance of lesbian families, it was especially fun for Lena and me to come across gay men with kids (sorely lacking in our hometown), and I found myself wishing that we had chosen to register for Family Week officially, if only for the opportunity to get to know some queer papas better.

We ended up at our usual P-town dinner destination: the Aquarium Marketplace, where we picked up some burritos and ate them out on the deck overlooking the bay. I took the opportunity to attempt to photograph the kids in the same spot where I've photographed them in the past. This year's result was no more successful than those from 2007 or 2008, but I suppose it's a tradition that will continue nonetheless.

2007

2008

2010

Walking through P-town with two literate children in tow was a bit eye-opening (mostly for them).

"Mom? This poster says: 'come see the Naked Boys Singing!' What does that mean? And can we?!"

We talked to the kids about how P-town is kind of like PRIDE, and soon they were pointing out rainbow flags everywhere ("gay! gay!"), and talking about how we could know if other people were gay or not just by looking (good question!). And because we wanted others to know that we were gay just by looking, we wore Leo in the rainbow ring sling (freshly altered; it used to be a long wrap--you can see me wearing Zeb in it here, three years ago in P-town--but I cut it and sewed in some rings since we really seem to prefer to wear Leo in ring slings). Thank goodness for a little rainbow baby gear, keeping us from blending in with the straight families (just kidding . . . kinda).

"gay! gay!"

We mostly spent our days at the beach with the best surf (Luke and Jaz love boogie boarding, and Lena and I like it pretty well, too), about 20 minutes south of P-town, but one morning we went to our favorite P-town beach (sadly surf-less), in hopes of finding the queer families. Alas, the beach was nearly empty (it was a bit overcast: my favorite kind of beach day), and those families who did share it with us were nearly all regular old one mom, one dad families (we did run into one queer family who we had seen around town at home, which was fun). But I managed to rainbow up the experience despite our lack in queer company by collecting these rocks:

I've been collecting rainbows of beach stones
since my babydyke days . . . I just can't stop.


Overall I guess I'd say I was a little disappointed by the lack of any apparent queer family vibe. It's now clear that to really partake in the Family Week excitement, we'd need to actually attend some of the Family Week events. Perhaps we will next summer. I did realize, while walking around P-town in search of other families like ours, that I do wish we had more of a queer community in our everyday lives. The vast majority of our parenting friends have always been straight: our parenting philosophies, age, and the ages of our children (among other things, such as our appreciation of good food and drink, and our willingness to let our kids stay up way too late in the name of grown-up fun) trumping our sexual orientations. And that's perfectly fine, but I am feeling a new urge to connect more with the queer culture and to give our kids a larger understanding of what it is to be part of a queer family. I want them to know that it's about more than rainbows.

I recently joined a local support group for queer non-gestational parents, and I love getting the chance to talk about the issues affecting our families in a group of people who all really understand them. How validating! It makes me feel so much less alone, and so much more excited about being part of a queer family. While I still feel like there are other factors, beyond queerness, that are more important when connecting with potential new friends, I am going to make more of an effort to search out other two-mom or two-dad families who we might resonate with. Along these lines, we're thinking of hosting a potluck for local LGBTPQ families, so if you're part of a local, queer family and you'd like to join us, send me an email!

10 comments:

Melissa said...

We live in an area that is predominantly blue collar, strong on religion, hockey and hard drink. Not to say that there are not some redeeming qualities here (namely - our families that love and support us), but lately my partner and I have been facing a dearth of queer families (or friends!) to connect with.
In the past year, three sets of couples (so six friends in total) have all moved south to larger metropolitan areas, and while at this point in time there is no possibility of us moving, it does make me want to produce posters and put them up around town. "Looking for queer families - please call xxx-xxxx for playgroup or dinner and drinks".

moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

i think thats important also to show the kids other queer families. I think its great they have an organized event such as family week in the states.

I live in montreal, and my wife and I live in the 'village'. Where most of queer people live. I am going to try and find some queer families also, not only for support but for friendship and sharing different lives together.

We have no babies yet (in the process) but if you are ever in montreal, let us know!

Mama Cas said...

I have a question for you, Lex. I don't mean any disrespect...it's just something that I'm curious about. I thought the term "queer" was derogatory. Am I wrong? I see you use the word here so it's clearly not offensive to your family. I guess it's a lot quicker and easier to say "queer" than it is to say "families with same-sex parents"! ha ha!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and love your photos and writing!

I've been thinking about going to Family Week for years now (we have two kids ages 12 and 15 with a baby on the way) but we never seem to make it. We, too, would love to have more queer families to hang with. While there are quite a few in the city we live in, we haven't quite found great family matches. We're young parents, so most of the queers our ages have infants. Any of the queers who have kids our ages are older - and fabulous - but it doesn't necessarily mean we ever have anything in common other than children. We'd love to have a tribe of queer families to play with.

Lex said...

Mama Cas: "queer" is a term that was once purely derogatory, but has--since the early 90's--been reclaimed by the LGBTP community in a positive way. Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer . More and more, LGBTP folks of my generation are choosing to identify simply as "queer" rather than label themselves more specifically. I find it to be a great, inclusive term. Of course, those outside the queer community may wish to stick with more unanimously accepted terms (like LGBT) since "queer" is still felt negatively by some, and intention can sometimes be hard to read.

Lex

Mama Cas said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Lex. And, yes...speaking as a hetero, I'll steer clear of the term simply because I would never want to upset or offend. Also because it's a word I'm not comfortable using.

Charlie said...

Yay, queer mama/papa potluck! We'll be back in town in 2 eek! days.

jojo said...

Next time you're in P-Town for Family Week, check out the pools at the hotels on Commercial St...they tend to be total scenes for gay families (though I myself opt for beach over pool).

Charlotte said...

hey Lex,

I'd love to know about the local queer fam potlucks! I'll try to remember to send you an email too so you have mine.

Charlotte Capogna-Amias

rachhannah said...

Hi Lex,
Love your blog and your photos!
Now that Pam and I are queer parents we are also eager to have more queer families in our lives! Especially one's that we have more than just being queer in common...which isn't always easy to find. I am looking forward to the potluck at Look Park and meeting your family. For us having a newborn feels like another limit on who we can connect with...meaning other families who also have very young babies...but maybe this isn't true. Ugh there are so many limits already. Anyway, here's to connections!
~Rachel, mother of Gavriel