8/15/10

On Milk and Equality and Nighttime Parenting

A few weeks ago, we began the process of night-weaning Leo. For those unfamiliar with the term, night-weaning refers to weaning a baby or toddler from breastfeeding at night (while daytime nursing is not restricted). For us, "night" is defined as the hours between bedtime (7:00-8:00 p.m.) and about 5:00 a.m. Our other kids were older when we closed down the nurse-all-night breastmilk bar, so we weren't sure how it would work for a younger toddler with more limited communication skills. But I remembered wishing--after I night-weaned Luke and Jaz at 18 months--that I had done it months earlier (before the sleep deprivation really made me crazy), so we decided to try it, with our wee 13-month-old (I tend to take the approach of trying new parenting ideas, even if I don't feel sure of the outcome: we can't know if we don't try, and we can always change our minds). And it's worked out just splendidly. Instead of nursing him when he wakes in the night (no, unfortunately, night-weaning typically does not fully eliminate night-waking), we just snuggle him back to sleep. The first couple of nights were a little rough--Leo cried some in our arms--but since then it's been remarkably smooth sailing. Leo lets out a whimper, we spoon him close to us, and he's instantly back to sleep.

The big deal here, as far as I'm concerned, is that we're both equally able to nighttime parent Leo now. Previously, I could nurse Leo back to sleep if he woke when Lena was unavailable, but it was always rather stressful (he'd fuss on and off at my breast, and clearly be looking for Lena). While my new found ability to quickly comfort Leo in the night is lovely--and relieving for Lena, who had been nearly solely responsible for putting Leo to bed and getting him back to sleep when he'd wake--in and of itself, I've been shocked by the unanticipated effect it's had on my daytime relationship with him.

Leo nurses with me more and more frequently these days
(laptop camera self-portrait: low-quality photo)

It is hard for me to admit this--I feel so passionately about breastfeeding and mothering through breastfeeding--but Lena choosing to stop nursing Leo in the night has really been to the benefit of my relationship with him. He is more easily comforted by me during the day, and seems less as though he is looking for Lena around every corner when she's gone. Sometimes he even chooses me for comfort when Lena is home. I am simply thrilled with the new state of things. If I had come to feel like Leo truly was my son before, I'm feeling it at least ten times more strongly now. Or rather, it feels much more reciprocal now than it did previously.

Some friends of ours--a two-mom family with two kids, wherein each mom gestated one of the babies--recently weaned their two-year-old all together (no daytime or nighttime nursing). And his non-gestational mother was telling me about how even though the decision was incredibly difficult for his gestational mom--and was not without significant loss and grief--there's been an equal and opposite positive impact for her, the NGP. And I can definitely understand that now, how the breastfeeding relationship--so rewarding and special, but also rather exclusive--can keep a non-breastfeeding parent (or, in my case, a minimally breastfeeding parent) at some level of distance. That said, our current experience leads me to believe that it is the nighttime parenting--more than the breastfeeding specifically--that is making the most difference. Kids are often at their most vulnerable in the night, and someone who is able to comfort and soothe them during that time is then more likely to be able to comfort and soothe them during the day.

nursing hormones + sun on my face = total bliss

As pleased as I am with this new experience of parenting a night-weaned version of Leo, I don't wish that we had night-weaned him any earlier. I think it's important for babies to be able to nurse through the night at least through the first year of life. And, even if I'd known then what I do now--about how positively Leo's and my relationship would be affected by the night-weaning--I still would have supported Lena in choosing to continue to nurse Leo through the night indefinitely, for as long as she so desired (as it was, she was becoming increasingly sleep deprived, which is what prompted the decision to night-wean).

Frequently, in my experience as Leo's non-gestational mom, this conflict arises between what I believe to be the best choice for any baby and gestational mother, and my own desire to have as equal a role in mothering Leo as possible. It began when he was just born, and Leo was placed on Lena's chest for his first couple hours of life. Of course I wanted very much to take him in my own arms, to feel his little body pressed against mine, to breathe him in and kiss him everywhere. But even more than what I wanted for myself, I wanted Lena to have the experience of constant contact with him, of relishing the feeling of having just pushed a baby out and loving his body on the outside for the first time. And for Leo, I wanted him to remain in earshot of Lena's heartbeat and in smelling distance of her breasts. I knew that my time with him would come eventually, and it did.

Likewise, when Lena started back to work a few months after Leo was born, it would have been most convenient for me to be able to feed him her expressed milk (either by bottle or with an at-the-breast supplementer). Beyond convenience, it would have allowed me the experience of being able to fully meet Leo's needs all day long, of feeling free to go about my day as I would have had I been Leo's gestational mother: spontaneously choosing to go out to lunch with friends, or making a visit to my grandparents, who live a little over an hour away. But instead, Lena and I chose not to have her express her milk. Her job allowed her to work mostly from home, and it was no trouble for her to take a break to nurse Leo every couple of hours. This meant that the two of them never had to be separated for longer than the time between feedings (which I myself never would have been able to handle, when I was the gestational mother), Leo never had to suck on an artificial nipple, and Lena never had to make milk for a breast pump in place of a baby. Unfortunately, this arrangement--while ideal for Lena and Leo--sometimes left me feeling like more of a baby-sitter than a parent; I had to keep my eyes on the clock, and rush home with Leo so that he could nurse when he got hungry. But that felt like an acceptable consequence for being able to preserve Lena and Leo's full-time breastfeeding relationship.

While I would have loved to be able to co-sleep with Leo in his first year, my arms circling his warm body, feeling the rhythm of his little breaths on my neck, I wanted even more for Lena to get to experience it (as I had with our other babies). I wanted her to see how her instincts would cause her to awaken just before he did, offering the breast when he'd only just begun to squirm, nursing him back to sleep without even fully waking up herself. I wanted Lena and Leo to get to continue being one in as many ways as possible, for as long as possible. Because that is my wish for every single gestational-mama-and-baby pair, certainly not to the exclusion of a pair--Lena and Leo--so very close to my heart.

I accidentally nursed him to sleep

This go-round, Lena and I have managed to mother our baby way more equally than we were ever able to in the past (largely due to the fact that we were both only working part-time through his first year, whereas previously I was the sole at-home parent and Lena worked full-time). We've even been able to fulfill my long-term dream and take advantage of all four of our breasts. But still, I wouldn't say that our roles in Leo's life have been equal. Sure, I kept the sperm that contributed to his conception warm in my bra prior to the insemination, but Lena grew him in her body from a tiny zygote to a 7-lb person! I think that to expect a fully equal experience of parenting baby Leo would have been misguided and inappropriate. That said, as Leo gets bigger--and becomes increasingly independent--I certainly appreciate the growing significance of my role in mothering him. And I know that a few years from now, none of this: who nursed him when, who slept with him more, even who gestated him, will feel relevant.

I continue to be grateful for having my eyes and heart opened to the experience of non-gestational parenthood, and have no regrets about the way we've chosen to mother Leo for the past 13.5 months. And I will continue to rejoice in each sign I get--from Leo, from my own reactions--of my strengthening bond and attachment to this most beloved little one.

Lena and Leo, nursing on the beach

59 comments:

Imagination Kids said...

Such a loving and touching post. The last picture of Lena and Leo is so wonderful. There is something so sweet about nursing toddlers and all their nursing positions!

paradykes said...

Love your blog I've been reading for almost a year now and love love love this post. Your dedication to nursing your children is amazing. As the non bio mom I was able to relactate to also breastfeed our baby girl and feel that seeing those amazing baby eyes look up at me while she was nursing was worth the months of pumping and herbs to bring my milk in.

weese said...

i find the talk of 'non-gestational' parent interesting... in the sense of - excuse my (well-known) bluntness, but what's the big deal.
i am a 'non-gest' parent..altho i have never even thought of the term until reading your blog.
i am my childrens' parent. i love them the way any parent would love any child. where they came from (my wifes womb in this case) never seemed an issue.
over the years we switched primary home responsiblities as jobs ebbed and flowed - while it was not seemless (i did need to actually cook for the children so they would survive :)) it was simply parenting.
you guys are adorable. your kids are delightful.
don't worry so much.

bonding takes many forms.
for example i taught my 22 year old son how to fix the toilet last night.
in all seriousness i can say it was a moment that touched my heart.

Suzanne said...

I very much appreciated your thoughts and words on your whole experience. Thanks for sharing it with us. I will hope that our night-weaning goes as well as yours. There is so little talk about it, except from books that say "just stop nursing at night" so it's always nice to hear a nuanced view on it.

I've been thinking a lot about your post since reading it yesterday - probably because we too are night-weaning (a 12 month old) and I'm finding it challenging, to say the least. I'm curious about your thoughts, as a mother and lactation consultant, about the need to nurse at night. My son doesn't eat much "table" food and I don't think he should need to nurse at night for nutritional purposes, but given his lack of solids intake does he need to eat? He's 24lbs so it's not like he's wasting away :) I guess I'm really looking for validation that it's "ok" to tell him we're not nursing at night, but only during the day.

lex's li'll sis said...

Weese,
I think maybe you're interpreting perception as "worry." Just because some things feel like they need to be processed, digested, and expressed-- doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is making a "big deal."
Lexa, as a soon-to-be nursing Mama in partnership with a soon-to-be non-gestational parent; I really appreciate everything you share about motherhood; both gestational and non. I think the difference is undeniable and immense between gestational and non; because at this point; I am incredibly aware of my son (through his early morning and late-night kicking sessions) while my Love still feels like he is not yet really a Father. I think it would be silly not to talk about it, really.

Lex said...

Suzanne: I think weaning--all types (night/day)--is one of those highly individual things that it's really hard to give advice about, beyond the usual: trust your gut. I tend to think that mothers have inborn instincts about this sort of thing, but that it can be hard to hold on to them in this crazy advice-giving culture we live in. So while one mother of a 12-month-old may have been told by a pediatrician that "it's time to night-wean; your baby/toddler has no nutritional need to nurse in the night anymore," and call me, asking if her pediatrician is right, doubting that her baby is really ready to stop nursing in the night, another mother of a 12-month-old may call and say, "I'm crazy sleep-deprived, my baby is nursing all night, I really want to wean; is this ok?" The babies are the same age, but my answers are different. One mother is getting advice from a pediatrician that doesn't resonate with her instincts, and the other mother is getting a sense from her own body that night nursing isn't working anymore, but then doubting her instincts (which is common due to the aforementioned crazy advice-giving culture).

So, check in with yourself. I know that we never would have been able to night-wean before sensing in our guts that it was time (and "time" has varied: Luke and Jaz were 18 months old, Zeb was 3 years old, and Leo was 13 months old).

Lex

Lex said...

weese: I appreciate your viewpoint. I agree with you completely that gestation has nothing to do with LOVE. But, for me, it has definitely made a huge impact on my experience of mothering, and while it's not something I "worry" about per se, it has been a big deal: it's really made me question my identity and my beliefs about what makes me a mother.

Notably, Lena never "struggled" the way I had with her role as the non-gestational parent to our first three sons. Surely it was difficult for her at times when they just wanted me (and my breasts!) and would seem to reject her, but for the most part she felt relieved to be in the position she was in; no part of her wished to be in my shoes instead. At that time, Lena had no interest in becoming pregnant, breastfeeding or being the primary care provider. For me, the transition has been much harder because mothering is my LIFE, it's the only thing I've always wanted to do; it's a HUGE part of my identity.

In speaking with other non-gestational parents, it seems that those who have an easier time with it are typically mothers who never desired pregnancy for themselves. Non-gestational parents who have either gestated previous babies or who plan to gestate in the future frequently take some time to figure out what it means to be a non-gestational mother.

Lex

Lyn said...

Lex -- So many thoughts on this, probably enough for another post entirely.

Ever since before Leo was born I've been wondering how you would feel about weaning (of any sort). Thank you for voicing this.

To Weese -- Noticing what is different, hard, or great about the experience of non-bio-mom-hood does not itself imply excessive worry. The experience does not not need to be identical (or "identical-other-than-nursing" as folks often claim) to that of a bio-mom to be equally valid, and I honestly wish more moms talked about the details like lex does.

Susan said...

Lex, I'm always so interested in your experiences as a NGP and your insights into what that means for you, since you have the perspective of being both a GP and a NGP. I suspect that much of your introspection stems, like you suggested, from the fact that you *do* know both roles so intimately.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Suzanne said...

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Lex. It is so appreciated.

Nina said...

interesting. before finding your blog, I had never heard of the term non-gestational parent. is this different than adoptive? mostly confined to same gender parents? do you identify with adoptive parents or keep yourselves as a separate group?

I too always wanted to be a mother. and thought if it didn't happen biologically, I would adopt. then I worked in the foster care field and worried, I wouldn't be able to connect - love enough -for one so needy. having my son biologically I feel very content. he was a happy, unexpected accident. but now I don't feel compelled to fill my home with more as I had though I would before I had him.

my big issue is he's almost three and shows no sign of wanting to stop nursing. he's never been a nurse thoughout the day kid, just when going down for a nap/bedtime and sometimes upon awakening but I'm all "don't you want to stop?" and he's all - no. I didn't have to do much to get him to stop pacifier and bottle use but me use...going to be tougher. I really appreciated your post on the family bed too as he sleeps with me still (that I'm more okay with) anyway, I like your blog, I linked to it on mine - http://parentplanet.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/great-sites-8-19-10/ - I like your openness and honesty and your insight. thanks

Kathryn said...

I'm continually amazed by how thoughtfully and articulately you share your feelings and thoughts on parenting. I read this post a few weeks and have found myself thinking about it in the weeks since, especially the impact of nighttime parenting on daytime parenting. Beautiful post and wonderful pictures.

Kelly said...

Thinking of you and your family and hoping all is well.

Charlie said...

Hey Lex,

Hope everything is good for ya'll. I miss your posts!

Charlie

EXPERT OPINION said...

Those breast-feeding photos...yikes. They're beautiful for a private family album, but no matter how natural it is and how healthy for baby and how empowered it makes you feel, there are actual logical reasons why it might not be a good idea to put them on the internet. I know you feel like some sort of hippie super-mom who's giving the finger to societal constraints by posting these private photos for the world to see, and you seem like an intelligent woman, but here's an outside, neutral opinion: the pictures are creepy. Why? Not because your breasts are out, or that a baby is latched to your nipple, but because it seems like a tacky, self-righteous, and arguably taunting move. It's just uncomfortable to see such intimate things being broadcast to the entire world. It seems like an attention-grabbing, exhibitionist ploy to assert your beliefs in a brash and inappropriate way. It's off-putting.

Lex said...

Thank you for your neutral opinion!

Lex's li'll sis said...

Expert Opinion:
Maybe you should ask yourself how something that should be inherent in everyone's upbringing (save for adoption and other special circumstances) became so uncomfortable and "taunting" for you to have to see. Even though you think you "know" that Lex is "giving the finger" to society by posting something so "tacky" and "empowering" and "self righteous," maybe it wasn't nearly as much of a statement as you read it to be.
You can't know a person through and through by reading a few blog posts. I've known Lex my whole life, and I would never describe her as "attention grabbing," or even controversial. But I understand your inclination to judge, because to me you seem like a know-it-all smartass ("EXPERT OPININ"???? Pleeeease) who wants to cause a stir with a take on something that goes against the grain (because maybe it is actually you that yearns for the attention) in an otherwise beloved blog which is intended for people who are not particularly frightened or offended by breasts, or babies feeding off of them. As an outsider, just offering you a "neutral opinion," You should look into therapy and figure out maybe how babies eating what they are meant to eat got to be such an issue of discomfort for you.

Suzanne said...

Hahaha!! "Expert opinion" you crack me up. Breastfeeding is natural why does it make you so uncomfortable?! It's a breast!! When you walk by Victoria Secret do you get bashful then too? Did you write Les Wexner and tell him how you felt? People "like" you amaze me. It's a boob. Get over it.

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful post. Your blog is such an enjoyable read, especially for my partner and I who are just starting out on this journey. Thank you, you make it seem so much more real for us. Also - the photos are gorgeous and wonderfully normal.

JoeANDHannah said...

I know this is a little late in coming, but as a person who does not know Lex, but likes to read her blog, "Expert Opinion" is just goofy. People who read this blog, I venture to say, all have something in common with Lex. For me, it is being a mother. I would further venture to say that the readers of this blog are not part of a demographic who would find pictures of breastfeeding as "tacky, self-righteous, or taunting." Those people read other blogs--I dunno--Corporate Suburban Mama or Repressed and Ignorant Mama or something.

iamhoney said...

Never have left a comment on your blog before but have followed it since before Leo was born. I hope everything is going ok with your little family. I am getting a little worried about no posting! Your blog is beautifully and honestly written so I hope you are not letting a few peoples opinions (Expert Advice) bother you. Love to you and your family and I sincerely hope everything is ok:)

Unknown said...

Hi Lex,
I realize you haven't posted for a while, so I thought I'd write a comment and mention how much I look forward to seeing 'Smitten Mama' on my blog roll. I hope everything is going well in life and you are just cought in a busy time in life, too busy to write ;)
Thank you for sharing your beautiful life with us :)

Dawn (from Vancouver Canada)

Sara said...

Hey Lex - Hope all is well. I really miss your posts. You are one of a few bloggers I check-in with daily. Your beautiful words and pictures are always inspiring and touching. Miss you and your family here...xoxo

Mia said...

Where are you??? We miss you!!

Kelly said...

Miss your posts terribly. Hope all is well.

PS--Thinking of getting a "grown-up" camera, beyond the point and shoot. Your photos are all so beautiful. What kind of camera do you use?

me said...

I miss your blog! Hope you are doing well...and blog again sometime soon!

Pamela said...

i've always wanted to be pregnant, breastfeed, stay at home mama. When my partner 'went first' it was so exciting! Once she was pregnant it hit me that this wasn't how I imagined having children. It took a long time to sort through a new way of mothering - and luckily my partner was so happy to be creative and loving about it all. We were pregnant together - in the best way we could be. And in the end I loved being the non-carrying but still pregnant mother :)

I did suppliment feed a bit - it was really helpful in the beginning as I connected to our little one. (I had tried to induce, but didn't have alot of support from people who knew how to help us - and it didn't work). Gradually for me, there were more simple ways of connecting and mothering and I stopped feeding our daughter (but still do comfort nurse when ever she wants to).

My partner was beyond awesome. She was so affirming of comfort nursing, she used really thoughtful language throughout the pregnancy, she truely wanted me to be included, she was totally into inventing creative new ways to be mothers and pregnant together.

Some of our family members sometimes misunderstood - assuming that my wanting to be a mother so strongly meant I wasn't adequately supporting my wife - as she carried and birthed our baby. Which couldn't be farther from the case. Somehow though if you are a partner that needs some extra creativity and support - you are some kind of needy monster when your partner is pregnant. We were able to handle all of our needs beautifully. Once people saw our love in action they backed off. I think what really got to them was our choice not to have a baby shower...

There isn't alot out there for non-gestational parents who strongly identify with pregnancy/breastfeeding/ a certain vision of mothering - and the experience is quite something. Blogging and sharing our experiences is affirming and healthy.


I hope that all is well with you and your family - it would be really great to have a one sentence 'we are still here' blog.

In the mean time - many blessings. and thanks for your sharing. it makes us all stronger.

sk said...

Expert Opinion: It's really quite impossible for you to "know" how Lex feels, and I find your comment to be very judgemental. If you don't enjoy her pictures, look somewhere else!

Anonymous said...

Lex,

You are missed.

Woolymama said...

We miss your posts! I hope you come back to this space soon :)

ashley said...

hi lex, i hope everything is going alright with your beautiful family. i just wanted to add my voice to the mix to let you know your presence in this space is sorely missed,
~ashley

Anonymous said...

Lex - hope all is well. I miss your blog so much! I am waiting patiently with all your other adoring fans for your next post. Hope it's soon!

sara said...

I want to join in the comments here to say that I keep coming back to check in on you, Lex, and your blog. I share this not to put any sort of pressure on you as I am sure you are making the decisions you need to around your blog. I do want to say that I miss your postings, your voice, and photos. Wishing you the best.

Jess said...

You inspire me in so many ways, Lex, and your blog is one I check daily. I love your honesty and your passion and the way you embrace life and love on your boys. You make me want to take risks and try new things.

I hope all is well with your precious family. I miss you!

Kathryn said...

A quick hello from another reader to say that I miss your posts and hope you and Lena and your children are healthy, happy, and enjoying autumn. Sending warmest wishes your way!

Jessica said...

I also want to say that I hope all is well with you and your family. I've missed reading your posts. Perhaps you are just busy and haven't had a chance or the inclination to post. Still, I hope that everything is okay. I think of all of you often! Hope you had a happy Samhain. Best wishes!

margaret said...

... miss you ...

Witty said...

*sigh* i miss your posts!

Ditto said...

I too just want to chime in and say that I miss "hearing your voice". I hope that you and yours are having a blessed autumn.

Unknown said...

Just saw the update to your blog layout. Great photos of you and your kids. I don't know you enough to feel like emailing you is appropriate, but I enjoy your writing and wish you all the best. I look forward to your return to blogdom.

Heather said...

Amazing the impact you have on so many people. Your voice has meaning. Wishing you peace.

Knights' Mama said...

Hope that the updated pictures on your blog mean you're thinking about posting again. You are missed!

Unknown said...

Lex. Just wanted to chime in and add to the call, you are missed...your words...and the love that pours forth from them.

Hugs.
Erin

paradykes said...

Your adoring fans miss you and so do I. I love and miss your blog terrible! I loved the nursing photos and the comment from "Expert Opinion" is crap crap crap! There is nothing more beautiful than a mother feeding her child in whatever way they feel most comfortable! Nursing a child in public shoulndt be made to feel "dirty". It's Natural and Beautiful! Please come back to wring you and your beautiful family are missed.

kristine + rhys said...

lex, i am long time reader. i love your blog and your beautiful sons! i miss your updates very much! i hope all is well for you!

kristine

CoffeeBlue said...

Longtime reader, first time (I think) poster. Just wanted to say this is one of my favorite blogs to read. Wishing you peace in whatever is keeping you from the blogosphere.

Kelly said...

You are missed. Wishing you and your family peace and joy this holiday season.

Johanna said...

Another long time reader who misses your posts. I think of you often and hope you and your family are well.

Rebekah said...

Another reader here who is hoping all is well and wondering where you are. I hope you will come back soon, even if just to drop a "we're ok" or "we're going through something over here -- will be back when we can". Sending your beautiful family much love ...

Suzanne said...

Happy holidays - hope your holiday season is going well. I was just thinking the other day how after I'm not in touch with friends for a long time, it can feel daunting to come back with so much to update on - and sometimes I hold back from emailing a friend or calling because I don't have the energy to get into all that has happened in the interim. Please do know that we be perfectly fine if you return to this space, if you like, without updating us on all that's been going on. (Of course this is your space so you know that). I just wanted to reiterate that we would just as happily read your posts even if you just pick up where you are now and not comment or discuss what's been going on in your absence.

Mama Cas said...

Hi, Smitten family...I've thought about you all frequently since your last post. I hope this absence means only good things. We all miss you and I, for one, will be waiting for your return, should you decide to bless us with one. Hugs and good thoughts to you all!

Kelly said...

Wishing you and your family peace and joy on this beautiful Solstice.

Heather said...

Happy Winter Solstice. The days are growing longer.

Melissa said...

Happy solstice and happy holidays! Hope all is well mama!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to come by and say thank you. This was our first Holiday season with our little one and I feel like it went just as I'd hoped. In addition to our own families' traditions, a big part of its success was reading along with your blog and borrowing ideas and aiming for the spirit you and your family were able to model during your holiday celebrations. Thanks for sharing with us. We miss you and are sending you light and love during the darkest season.

Anna said...

Hope all is well in the Smitten household. I miss hearing your voice.

Steph said...

Missing your blog posts. Hope all is well.

Kelly said...

Happy New Year, Lex. Wishing you and your family all the best in 2011. Peace.

Jeanette said...

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones, hope all is well.