6/21/08

"Bakfietsing in the Rain. . .

. . . Just bakfietsing in the rain! What a glorious feeling, I'm happy again . . . "

Yesterday afternoon, we decided to bike into town for our special summer solstice lunch. It was a hot, sunny day, but I knew there was a chance of rain in the forecast. I debated about whether or not to bring the rain cover for the bakfiets. It's a truly fabulous design--if it's raining--but there's no way to store it on the bike in order to be prepared for the chance of rain. And it was just too hot and sunny to put it on the bakfiets as a preventative. So, I decided to take the risk of rain, and left without the cover.

Sure enough, after lunch it started to sprinkle, and by the time we got on the bike it was definitely raining. When we were half-way home, it started pouring. Thunder grumbled loudly in the sky. The kids screamed. And it all felt fabulous and free. I wished for windshield wipers on my sunglasses, but otherwise I was totally happy bakfietsing in the rain.

I hummed "bakfietsing in the rain," while the kids made up a song that went something like, "quick, quick, don't catch a drip!" Jaz exclaimed, "rain is getting in through the holes in the top of my helmet!" And Lukas lamented, "rain is dripping down my spine!" And the baby didn't say a word. They were all fine. So . . . rain cover, shmane cover? Or, at the very least, "don't worry, be happy."

4 comments:

mezzaluna said...

i had this plan all day yesterday to go biking at 2:30pm... so of course when do the heavens open up!? yup. we waited out the heavy rain and then left. that's something i love about the chariot - kids don't get wet. i was hoping they would fall asleep with the dark skies and bike ride, but it didn't quite work that way, so we went to the library instead. this morning J absolutely refused to get in the trailer though and we ended up taking the car into town instead, wah.

Anonymous said...

Lovely story, and not to take away from the fun you had, but if you look on the bakfiets.nl site and stick with the dutch version, you can see that they have new poles coming so that you can roll up the cover and store it under the bench.

Our De Fietsfabriek has a folding cover, but it's not as nice as the Clarijs one. I am hoping the new folding version will be the best of both worlds.

grezelda said...

Looks as though everyone had a great time! A little (or a lot!) of rain never hurt anyone!
Perhaps someday we'll have a Bakfiets for our troupe!

Charanpreet Kaur said...

I happened upon your blog from something you posted on mothering.com. I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I'm really enjoying reading about your family and crafting.