7/21/08

Go Crazy

I get a lot of questions about the bakfiets when I'm riding around town. People want to know if I had the bike built myself, how it is to steer, and how it is to ride with all 3 kids in the box. Many folks have a hard time believing just how stable the bakfiets is, even with three kids in the box going crazy. The other day on our ride over to my mom's house, Lena (aboard "Clementine Jane") attempted to capture a video of me on Bakfietsy Rose with the kids being wonky, so that everyone could see how the bike doesn't even begin to tip despite the wiggling. Unfortunately, the kids weren't feeling particularly cooperative and none of them was especially wonky for the video. But here 's the clip, regardless. Maybe you can still get some idea of the stability.



There's only been one close call so far. I almost dumped the bike the other evening on our way home from my mom's house. We were riding really slowly up to the main intersection in town, and Zeben dropped a snorkel (yes for some reason, there was a snorkel in the bakfiets with us that day) over the right side of the box. All three kids then leaned way over to the right to try and see the snorkel on the ground, and we almost crashed into a very fancy car that was parked on the street. But we didn't. There was much screaming about "don't lean over like that!" (mine) and "Our snorkel! Go back for our snorkel!" (the kids'), but I managed to right the bike before anything horrible could happen (and Lena went back for the snorkel). Phew.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lex,

I'm moving to SF and want a Bak for myself, daughter and pooch, but am afraid of the hills. I'm approaching 40 and am not as fit as I was in my 20's. I'm having a tough time finding anyone willing to install an electric assist because everyone is convinced that I will use it going downhill and then try to brake. Ha! Do you have hills where you live? What are your hilly thoughts?

Cheers!

Jessica

Lex said...

Hi Jessica,

We live in a mostly flat area. I can't really imagine enjoying my bakfiets as much in a super hilly place. I would definitely want to try one out there first before making the purchase. Hills have gotten much easier for me as my legs have gotten stronger, but I still try to avoid really big ones on my daily rides.

Lex