7/15/08

Puddle Jumping Rain Lover

Yesterday morning we woke up to rain. Lukas' first comment on the weather was, "it looks like a rain cover kind of day for the bakfiets" which was optimistic and lovely. In truth, since I've started biking, I've definitely started feeling less pleased with the wetter days. It's certainly still possible to bike places in rainy weather if I need to, but I don't feel like going out for a spontaneous bike ride when it's yucky out. So I was feeling somewhat gloomy as I sat down to breakfast. Then Zeben started pushing on my legs and yelling "go, go, go!" before excitedly running to the door and asking to go outside. I figured he would change his mind once he experienced what it was like out there, but the rain actually seemed to be his motivation. I took off his diaper (I didn't want him to get the wool cover wet), and let him go crazy in the driveway.

He ended up staying outside splashing in puddles for over an hour. He was so pleased with the whole scene, and his attitude really rubbed off on the rest of us. The rain became less of a nuisance and more of a fun variation. Something to take time out of our usual hectic morning routine to appreciate.




I was standing under our big rainbow umbrella to keep the camera dry, and after a while, Zeb decided he'd like to have an umbrella too. Not so much to keep himself dry, more just for the fun of it.I think we may have found a reason to look forward to the next rainy day.

5 comments:

Bree said...

My little one, Ana, has also given me a new appreciation for "bad" weather. She loves the outdoors come what may.

Also, I have to say baby butts are the cutest!

May said...

Zeben makes me miss rain (we don't really get it.....). Plus, adorable little buns! xo May

Anonymous said...

Amazing pics, Lex! Absolutely love the last 2 pics. What a face Zeben has. I agree with the other posters. . . baby buns are the BEST!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures. Red hair rules. I mean to get around to making matching t-shirts with "mutated melanocortin-1 receptor variant" printed on the front. for our little 'un and me.

Since we've got our bakfiets, I've grown to love cycling in the rain. We have some of those Clarijs panniers, and leave one side stuff full of waterproofs for all of us. They were only cheap, so if some meanie steals them when the bike is left parked, we wonk cry about it, and it means we never get caught out.

Carey said...

What great pictures!!!!