7/23/09

Eating Green

When I was 16, my parents bought an old one-room schoolhouse in rural (i.e. middle-of-nowhere) Vermont, and my family spent the next three summers living there. Having previously lived my entire life in a big city, I thoroughly enjoyed my immersion into such a completely different culture. Our neighbors in Vermont were mostly people who had lived in the country since they were born, who couldn't imagine ever living in the city we returned to each fall, and whose connection to the earth and the seasons I found enviable (and who themselves thoroughly enjoyed watching us "city folk" take a turn at country living; my mother quickly gained notoriety after using a vacuum to clean out the chicken coop). One of the things I was most struck by, the first summer we lived there, was the fact that everyone had a vegetable garden, and the success of one's garden was valued above most everything else during the growing season. The harvest determined not only what people would be eating that summer, but during the dark, dreary, and cold fall and winter that followed.

Running into people driving by (we lived on a dirt road that was also a highway, so we got a decent amount of "just passing through" visitors) or at a party (of which there were many since not a summer day went wasted after such a long, anti-social winter), the standard greeting was not, "how are you?" or "how have you been?" but rather, "how is your garden?" Friends who stopped by would always opt to take themselves on a tour of my mother's raised beds, and would comment on how certain crops were doing and compare the growth to that of their own vegetable plants.

This summer is the first summer that Lena and I have even attempted to have our own vegetable garden. For the past few years, we've opted to join local CSAs, and figured that adding home-grown vegetables to the bounty we picked up each week would be overkill (and it likely would have been). But this year we resisted the temptation to buy a share (as much as we would love to be supporting local farmers in that way), and instead planted a small garden full of our favorite crops. The garden--like most everything in our lives besides our children--has been rather neglected as of late, but it is still providing us with all sorts of yumminess in spite of our lack of commitment.

The other night we treated ourselves to a very green dinner, most of which--the peas, broccoli, lettuce and cucumbers--came directly from our garden (the delicious spanakopita was made by our friend Hannah who used local spinach and delivered it to our door, and we ate it two nights in a row).


To up the green quotient of this dinner even more,
we ate our plates of green, green food
outside in the green, green grass.


Our peas have pretty much gone by now, but we've still got lots of broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers, and basil ready for the picking, and the tomatoes and peppers aren't far off. We are quite pleased with how our introductory garden is growing, especially given the very small amount of energy that we've put into it. We're hoping that we never have another summer without a garden, and that the amount of food we can provide for ourselves each summer simply grows with each passing year.

How about you? How is your garden growing?

9 comments:

Brooke said...

My garden is doing great! I've never gardened before so we just bought a few potted plants this year. We already have a few egg plants, yellow squash and tomatoes!

May said...

A few weeks ago in VT I was struck again by how amazing my parents' garden is - enormous and bountiful, and Mom is always rotating where things are (mapping it out in the cabin was a Memorial Day tradition), so it's full of surprises. This year a ton of sunflowers seeded themselves, so their chosen spots were honored, if a little random (and Dad is stressed they'll shadow his beloved corn, which was sadly not knee high by the 4th of July). What really impresses me is what a science my parents have it down to - after 30 years, they can rototill and put in an entire garden that size, alone, at 60, in 2 days, even if raining. Bam.

I was also struck by how small and late the season is up there, now that I am spoiled by a year-round farmers' market in Southern California, where I ate fresh corn 2 weeks ago. That said, every basil and mint plant and chive I have planted in my window boxes has dried up under the beating desert sun, so I now gaze at succulents and cacti (Fritzle's prickly pear sorbet, anyone??). A trade. I sure miss a well watered green color, which we never see here.

Anyway, your crops look delicious! So do your little guys.

May said...

ps - no deer fence, I see. Well trained??!

Lex said...

No deer here . . . coyotes, yes, but nothing that wants to eat our garden, just our chickens.

Michelle said...

No garden here...I am one of those city folk. I did join the "local" CSA this summer and am still waiting to see the bounty...other then squash. We have had some harsh weather here in Texas lately and it is being rough on the crops. This is my first time to comment. I love reading your blog and your boys are beautiful. Congrats to you and Lena on the new addition.

giggleblue said...

i have my heart set on some type of urban garden and have been thinking to myself how to set one up. i thought about growing indoors but we have the pesky cat, who just so happens to love to eat things that are growing.

i hope to get it together with a little research from urban growing websites. i've also contemplated starting a garden at my school as a club. but i need research and ideas on where and how to plant.

none the less, i'm interested. oh, and metaphorically, my garden is growing just perfectly!

lex's li'll sis said...

I want a garden. My only conclusion to the animals-killing-it problem is to put it in a hanging birdcage. In about a week there will be 15 newly frisky little monsters running everywhere. Bet you wish you were here.

boo said...

I am dazzled by your garden.

We have several tomato plants that I smother with love and attention, but do not seem to respond with great enthusiasm. We do have a great crop of herbs, though.

Dorea said...

We tried container gardening for the first time this year with two self-watering containers (we're city people. We don't even have any dirt to call our own, and if we did, it would be full of lead anyway). We've already gotten several squash, and one tomato is almost ripe...though the plants are starting to look a little haggard.