7/29/09

Just In Time

They say that babies learn how to smile "just in time," right at the point when you might be starting to feel like "slave" would be a better descriptor than "parent," when you're so desperate for some positive feedback from your little parasite that if you don't get any, you just might decide to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Or something like that. And I think we did feel that way, at least a little bit, when Luke and Jaz were newborns. And getting those first smiles--just in time--made it all feel worthwhile and we remembered why we'd decided to start this crazy adventure in the first place.

Leo
one month old


Leo is smiling now, with good regularity, and while I can't say that it feels as important as it did when our firstborn children started smiling, it's no less lovely. In some ways, it has even more of an impact on us than Luke and Jaz's drunk-baby smiles did, since Leo's smiles are quite contagious and there are more of us around now to "catch" them. This morning, Zeben was being his usual grumpy-at-daybreak 2-year-old self (he often has a small fit when I decide that our three-hour morning nurse-a-thon is over), throwing a bit of a tantrum beside me on the bed, when suddenly, Leo smiled in my lap. And even Zeben--grouchy and despondent as he was--couldn't keep a smile from spreading across his own face in response.

Leo
one month old


Lena and I didn't need Leo to start smiling just yet. His babyhood is flying by at such an astonishing speed that I could have gone a few more months without getting some positive feedback from our fourth baby. But witnessing the big brothers' excitement about Leo's smiles is possibly one of the highest joys of my mothering career thus far. Seeing how they can be so easily transformed by this tiny person who brings out everything in them that is sweet and loving is exactly what I need to keep me going some days. So for that reason alone, Leo did, indeed, start smiling just in time.

Jaz with Leo
3 weeks old


Luke with Leo
3 weeks old

Zeb with Leo
1 week old


I can only imagine what the impact--on all five of us--will be once this adorable "baby brother" starts laughing. The level of joy in our house will surely be outrageous then. You know, as if it weren't already.

Leo
one month old

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leo is shockingly beautiful!!
I love his smiles and the sweet big brothers as well :)

Zakia said...

Thanks, Lex! Seeing Leo's smile made me smile too!

Holly said...

Leo really does have a beautiful smile!

Meg said...

My favorite thing about this post is the way one of Leo's smiling pictures lines up perfectly with Lena's smiling picture in the sidebar. So identical! xo

Lex said...

Meg-- I noticed that too and LOVE it! Lena claims she "can't see it," even with the pictures lined up, but I agree with you that they are definitely twins.

May said...

Do you think he has Lena's eyes, too? These are great smiles - I definitely caught one.

Iris E. said...

That first photo makes me SWOOOOOON!! What a gorgeous boy, like his Mamas!

And the last photo looks like Leo is just ready to take the world by storm. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

XO
Iris

Anonymous said...

Just a lurker popping into the comments to say "hi." I wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog - it makes *me* smile everytime I read it. Congrats on your newest little!