11/19/09

Flashback

Unless you have recently been reading through my old posts and happened across Leo's birth story (I'm guessing I'm the only one who re-reads that one every few weeks simply for the joy of re-living that day), you likely will not recall that when Lena was in early labor, she and I posed (mostly nude! Outside in our not-so-private yard!) for a local professional photographer. The goal was to get a photo of a pregnant lesbian couple to hang on the wall at Cradle, the maternal wellness center where I am now employed.

And since we've been quite busy ever since the photo shoot (after all, Leo was born a mere 15 hours later), we only just this week finally got a chance to visit with Sarah Prall, the photographer, at her studio, and see all of the pictures from that day. I'm actually really glad that it took us this long to schedule a viewing because it was so fun to get to see Lena's pregnant belly from our current point of view (which, at five months postpartum, can't really imagine that Lena was ever pregnant).

Sarah did an amazing job, and we are quite pleased with the results (in spite of the mullet hair-don't that I am sporting in the pictures (I did finally get around to cutting my hair about a week later, though at this exact moment it is, shamefully, creeping towards mullet once again)). We never would have considered having professional photos taken of ourselves, but now that we've seen what Sarah can do, we are ready to sign up for another session (this time with our kids as the models). Anyway, here are our top six favorites from Early-Labor Day (aka Leo's due date!):

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

We are going to have 3 of them printed on canvas, but need your help to decide which 3 photos to have hanging on our walls for the rest of ever. Please leave your top choices in the comments section. PLUS, Sarah (who is herself, a reader of this blog) has very generously offered to give 3 of YOU local readers $100 gift cards so that you guys can get some professional photos taken of yourselves! All you have to do to be entered in the drawing is to leave me your top picks (and please indicate that you'd like to be included in the drawing, and make sure you've left some way for me to contact you)!

Thanks!

47 comments:

jojo said...

2, 5, and 6. definitely.

Anonymous said...

1, 5 & 6, for sure!

Margaret said...

I vote 1, 3, and 5. (and glad you are back!).

megan said...

1, 5, and 6 please!

JustAnotherJenny said...

1 5 & 6. Although #4 is stunning also.

kim said...

1,2,5 get my vote, although each one is nice for different reasons...i await the pictures she takes of the kids (be sure you are both in some of them as well) (oh and i am not local so count me out of the drawing)

Susan said...

I love them all, in this order: 5,6,1,4,2,3.

boo said...

Definitely 1, 5, and 6 but they are all so gorgeous. We'll be back on the east cost at christmas, so totally count us in on the drawing. Professional photos of my pregnant wife- just the thought of it makes me swoon.

Unknown said...

i like 6, 5 and 1 best. and, b.c i am inspired by how beautiful you both look and what nice memories this must be, i'll say i'd like to be entered. maybe a springtime photoshoot in my old stomping grounds would be fun!

glad to hear from you so much today!

kat said...

we choose 1, 3 and 4. although it looks like we're in the minority :)

Woolymama said...

Gorgeous!!! 1, 3, and 4 are my votes, but you really couldn't go wrong with any of them. I am also not a local reader, so you can count me out.

Unknown said...

1, 5 and 6

Holly said...

I agree, 1, 5 & 6!

me said...

1, 5 & 6...great pictures! please enter me in the drawing too! glad you are back blogging

Kelly said...

Fabuous photos! So beautiful and tender. I choose 3, 5 and 6. :-)

PS--Welcome back. You were missed.

Unknown said...

I love 1, 5 and 6, but they are all beautiful.

We would love to be entered in the drawing as well.

Thanks for coming back to post, I was starting to have withdrawals.

Mozeyin' Along said...

I LOVE 1, it's a great shot of both of you (and I don't think your hair looks mulletty! Maybe it was, but it looks shaggy chic!)

I like 5 but 4 is also very nice...I'd have to vote 5, there's something weird about Lena's pose in 4, and her smile in 5 is amazing.

6, absolutely.

(I'd love to be in a draw! rexlezard at gmail dot com or leave a comment on my doggie bloggie)

kdyer said...

1, 2, & 6!!! These are beautiful!

LauraM said...

My vote would be for 1, 5, and 6. I'd love to be entered in the drawing, too. (lmarx AT wsc.ma.edu)

Violet Sunshine said...

1, 4, and 5 are my favorites. 5 is my very, very favorite, though. Lena looks so cute and happy:)

lex's li'll sis said...

1, 4, and 6...and 3 and 2 and also 5. : )

Steph said...

#6 is my absolute favorite! Defnitely that one and any 2 of the others. They're great!

May said...

I'm with the masses on 1, 5 (Lena looks downright goddessy!), and 6. Unless the one you posted with Leo's birth story (I do look back at that post every now and then) is still in the running - in which case it goes to the top of my list.

I'm so excited for daily posts!

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of 1, 5, and 6.
This is my first delurking comment- Hi to you and Leta. I was at Smith at the same time as Leta- Christie R told me about your blog now that I'm pregnant with my first and it has quickly become one of my favorite blogs to read!
-Amber

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of 1, 5, and 6.
This is my first delurking comment- Hi to you and Leta. I was at Smith at the same time as Leta- Christie R told me about your blog now that I'm pregnant with my first and it has quickly become one of my favorite blogs to read!
-Amber

Anonymous said...

3, 5, 6. Love them all...gorgeous!

michelle said...

Just Lovely! 1, 5, &6 have my vote!

michelle said...

Whoops! forgot to ask to be thrown in the pot for the drawing. gift card or no, I'll be looking this photographer up. These photos are beautiful!

alana said...

These are so beautiful... i definitely vote for 2, 5, and 6. I'd love to be entered into the drawing too!

Mama Cas said...

1, 3, and 5.

Those are the ones. If you have to have only one, it would be number 5. Positively the best one.

Jillian said...

2, 5, and 6 without a doubt. I would love to be included in the drawing!

jillianscarangello@gmail.com

A. Mama said...

STUNNING!!! sigh...
1,3,6 (gah, but i also love 5).
you're both so beautiful! xo Avi

Knights' Mama said...

1, 5 and 6. I especially like the contentment and mischief captured in 5!

Unknown said...

1,2,5. Yay for photographer friends! We had a friend take photos ofnour first born but never did get them printed. Scott thinks we look like the prom couple that got knocked up. It's amazing how three years of motherhood can age you!

Brighid of the Finger Lakes said...

I'm jumping on the 1,5,6 bandwagon! Only enter us if she's looking for a road trip to Ithaca!

Zakia said...

I agree with May, 1, 5 and 6.

Phoebe said...

They are all beautiful photos but I vote for 1, 2 & 6.

I am not local so please don't include me in the photo draw.

Iris E. said...

All gorgeous: 1, 2, and 6!
XO
iris

Kathryn said...

All of them are beautiful, but my vote for the top 3 would be for 6, 1, and 5. Looking forward to the photos of your whole family!

CD and SP said...

1,2,5. Great photographer - will look her up soon. Would love to be included among the locals. page(d0t)sarah(at)gmail.com.

KWick said...

1, 5 and 6!

Kathryn said...

1,3, and 6! LOVE 6!!

Unknown said...

I'm not local, but 3, 5, 6 are definitely my favorites! They are so sweet!

Fresh Hell, Texas said...

1, 5 and 6.

So beautiful! Please count me in for the drawing.

Christie Rowe said...

1,2,5!

giggleblue said...

1, 5, and 6

Shell said...

I'm so happy I found your blog. I must admit, I'm totally in love with your life. I'm so happy when you update!

I love all the photos, but I'm voting for 1,2,3 AND 6. I just can't decide :)

-Shell