2/3/10

Favorite Rice

My children are incredibly picky eaters. I have no idea where they get it from. They get it from me. I was a very picky eater as a kid too (but I've come a long way in recent years). Thus I am sympathetic to their overly sensitive taste buds, even though I still find their pickiness to be enormously frustrating. Each kid has a couple of meals that he will mostly consistently eat (Zeben loves organic, uncured chicken hot dogs (but no other variety, be warned), Jaz loves pasta (and usually mac & cheese), and Lukas loves rice and beans (except for on the days when he doesn't; he is the pickiest of the bunch)), but beyond those, I never really know if the kids are going to eat what I make for dinner. Have we created this situation, allowing our children to be so picky? Maybe. But I don't think so. Our kids would rather not eat than eat something they don't like, and I can absolutely relate (I was exactly the same way as a kid and really didn't enjoy food much at all until adolescence). And I really prefer that my children eat something, lest they turn into the under-fed versions of themselves (not pleasant, I tell you). We've taken a middle ground on this parenting issue: we don't cater to our kids' food preferences, but nor do we make them eat anything that they don't want to eat. The "rules" are as follows:

1. No one is allowed to complain about the food being served, or make any negative comments about it whatsoever (i.e. "I hate this dinner!").

2. It is really appreciated when everyone tries at least one tiny bite of everything on the table (not enforced, but appreciated, and each child starts out with a small serving of each dish on his plate).

3. Kids are allowed to make themselves something else to eat (i.e. PB & J or a bowl of yogurt), but Moms will not help. Clean-up must be included.

Dinnertime with a pack of picky eaters can be a bit stressful. I feel overjoyed when something goes over well with all--or at least 2 out of 3--of the kids. And that is one reason why I am a frequent baker of short grain brown rice. It is the kids' most favorite grain, and they'll nearly always all enjoy it. Which is a huge relief to me.

Yes, you read that right, I bake our brown rice, in the oven. One local restaurant serves its rice baked, and when we discovered a few years ago that all of our kids would eat the rice there, I started baking rice at home too, instead of cooking it on the stove top. It is so very delicious and is quite easy to make. So easy, in fact, that even a 3-year-old could do it. And that is exactly what happened in our house this afternoon.

Ingredients:
1.5 cups short grain brown rice
2.75 cups water
1 TBS butter

1 tsp salt


1. Measure out 1.5 cups of rice into a pitcher or bowl.


2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.


3. Put 2.75 cups of water, 1 TBS of butter and 1 tsp of salt into a oven-safe pot and bring it to a boil on the stove top. Turn off the burner as soon as the water comes to a boil.


4. Stand at the sink and rinse the rice. Do this by filling the pitcher or bowl with water, stirring the rice around, pouring the water off, and repeating with fresh water. Ideally you would continue until the water is no longer getting milky from the rice, or for about 5 minutes.


5. Strain the rice.


Step 6. Add the rice to the boiling hot water--and put the lid on--before putting the pot into the preheated oven.


7. Set a timer for 1 hour.


That's it! You're done! So easy, and yet so very yummy. It really comes out perfectly every time; there's never any rice stuck to the bottom of the pot, and the rice is never to wet or too dry. IMPORTANT REMINDER: the handle of the pot will be VERY hot when it comes out of the oven. Don't attempt to touch it with your bare hands. We usually cover the handle of our rice pot with an oven mitt for at least 20 minutes post-baking since we find it takes a very long time for the pot to cool after having spent an hour at 350°F.

For whatever reason, our kids have grown accustomed to us serving Favorite Rice in a specific way (what was that I said about not catering to our children re: food?). I fill a small bowl with rice, and pack it down.


Then I flip the bowl over onto each kid's plate, making what the kids call a "rice castle."


Does it taste better when served this way? The kids seem to think so. Which makes me wonder if I should start making castles out of everything I cook for them. Hmmm . . . something to think about. Let me know if you try this and what you think!

17 comments:

sara said...

Ah, the food thing. Totally picky eaters here, too. I would SO love it if they ate brown rice (or truthfully, white rice for that matter). No rice eaters. And one who won't even eat pasta of any sort. He sits with a heaping bowl of cottage cheese (yuck!) on pasta nights... Thanks for sharing the recipe. I am always up for giving something else a try.

Lex said...

Sara: cottage cheese is great! 15 grams of protein in 1/2 a cup! I would be so happy if my kids would even consider eating it. Alas, they think it LOOKS gross. Good luck with this recipe! It's pretty magical, it may just covert your kids to being rice-eaters (any tips on converting mine to cottage cheese-eaters are quite welcome).

Anonymous said...

that wooden stepstool that zeben is standing on is adorable -- did you make it or buy it somewhere? are there more? ;)

Casey from LifewithRoozle.com said...

I grew up as a VERY picky eater and spent many many nights sitting at the table with a plate full of food by myself as my parents made me sit there forever until I ate. But I didn't like anything. The thing that bothered me the most is that I've always LOVED vegetables, so I don't know why they didn't just give me tons of them on my plate? I now have a 10 month old daughter that I was convinced would be so happy to eat anything and suddenly has turned into super picky eater just like I was. I am hoping it's a phase but we are guessing it isn't. I love your "rules" about dinner with picky eaters. I may need to revisit this post in a few years!

Iris E. said...

You must know one of our favorite books: The Seven Silly Eaters? I can recite the opening lines from memory, that's how much we have loved it for about 9 years...

Not so long ago, they say,
a mother lived just like today.
Mrs. Peters was her name, her little boy was named the same.
Now Peter was the perfect son,
in every way except for one.
When Peter was just one year old,
He didn't like his milk served cold.
He didn't like his milk served hot.
He liked it warm,
and he would not drink it if he was not sure
it was the proper temperature...

Delightful illustrations by my favorite illustrator Marla Frazee, written by Mary Ann Hoberman. We like noticing all the details as Mrs. Peters goes from a cello-playing mama to one who is bereft with laundry and going mad from the preparations of 7 different foods!!!

XO
Iris
PS Love the baked rice idea!

Mama Cas said...

The rice castles? I don't think of that as "catering" to their picky eating. I think of that as Mom having some fun with food! My own mother used to make my pancakes in the shape of Mickey Mouse.

It's tough to balance "wanting the kids to eat something" vs "I simply CANNOT please everyone at once and I am NOT a short-order cook."

The rule I set forth for my kids are similar...they are never allowed to say things like, "Ew. This smells/looks gross." And if I set something in front of them, they are required to try 3 small bites. I've managed to broaden their food horizons by enforcing that one.

My kids, in the morning, love to have hard boiled eggs...especially if they're still warm from being cooked! Yummmm.

sunset pines farm said...

Yes, picky eaters. Same here. I remember the days when I used to make octopus-looking creatures out of organic hotdogs just to make sure my kid ate some meat in between all the pasta and cheese and fruits and veggies...until I realized it was okay if she ate just that.
About rice-I almost always bake it and LOVE it that way. My favorite recipe includes fresh okra, sausage, seafood, tomatoes and wine for a wonderful dirty rice.

Mrs Swan said...

That rice looks yummy! It looks like sushi rice with it being the short grain. Is it sorta sticky like that too? I looked for it today at the grocery and they didn't have so I bet I have to hit natural food store. Bleck! (only because it is across town and I don't get to that side often)

Gillian said...

oh yes, we bake our brown rice too - I learned it on Good Eats a while back at it changed my life. Well, not really but it did change the amount of time I spent cleaning pans with burned rice on the bottom.

lex's li'll sis said...

I never knew you could bake rice. And seeing as I screw it up 97% of the time (sometimes the simple things are the hardest for me) I plan to bake it from now on. Revolutionary!

Alison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alison said...

That's the only way I would eat rice when I was a kid too! One variation was to put some meat and veggies at the bottom of the bowl first before packing the rice in so it would turn out kind of pretty with the colors on top when you flipped it over.

And it DID taste better that way.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to try baked rice. Ben is picky and has a hard time trying new things - sometimes he gags just LOOKING at foods he thinks he won't like - Rice is a staple and I think this will be a hit!

rebekah said...

Tried the rice tonight--it was super delicious. I also loved having one less pot on the stove. It made dinner feel simple. Thanks!

Vange said...

delicious! I used brown basmati and non-dairy margarine and it was simply scrummy. Easier even than the rice cooker! Thanks for posting.

Tara said...

I just discovered your blog and tried this rice recipe this afternoon. It is the BEST rice we have had. Thank you so much!!!

I'm really enjoying your blog. Thanks for sharing more on playful parenting. I have two very playful boys myself and they respond really well to this sort of approach.

Unknown said...

OMG, Lex, rice castles are one of my favorite childhood memories of my brother! He used to tell these elaborate stories about them as he was eating them, lol. Except the castles were made with a measuring cup because my parents were always on some diet or another *eyeroll*. But fun nonetheless!