2/8/10

Once Upon a Time

All kids love stories. Mine are no exception. I think it was the summer after Luke and Jaz turned one that I first discovered that the best kind of story was the kind that I told them. Don't get me wrong, we have been blessed with children who love to be read to--books of any kind, really--pretty much anytime, anywhere (and trust me that this is a blessing in our house of actively-inclined children who will sit completely still for a book), but at least for my kids, telling stories is even better than reading stories.

In the beginning, the stories I told Luke and Jaz were very simple and very repetitive. The toddler version of Luke and Jaz were obsessed with construction vehicles (obsessed, seriously, without any encouragement from us or from books or toys--though I was actually a little disappointed when Zeben did not turn out to be equally into trucks (he's actually rather afraid of them and wants nothing to do with them) since I had amassed so much unnecessary truck knowledge by the time he was born and it felt a shame that it should just go to waste. That said, Leo is already gravitating to what few truck toys remain in our house, so maybe my truck identification abilities will come in handy one day again after all) and so the stories would go something like this:

Once upon a time, Mom was walking down the street with Luke and Jaz. Luke heard a noise. Brrrm, brrrrm. Jaz heard it too! "I think there's a truck up ahead!" said Mom. When they got closer, they saw that it WAS a truck. It was a ___________ [insert backhoe, excavator, skid steer, front loader, dump truck, bulldozer, etc.]! "Hi ___________ !" said Jaz. "Hi ___________ !" said Luke. Then Mom, Luke and Jaz all said good-bye to the __________ and kept walking to see what they could see.

The response from the kids was overwhelming. They loved it. "Again, again! More truck story!"

I told the kids truck stories whenever they'd start to melt down. In the car, on a long walk home, in the midst of a rough pre-bedtime routine. The magic of telling stories was comparable only to the magic of nursing. And it is a magic that I have kept close to my heart over all of the years since then.

These days, the telling of stories happens mostly at bedtime (and there's no faster way to get all kids dressed in pajamas and snuggled in their beds than to remind them of the story that will be starting in only two minutes!), but also sometimes when we're out and about and feet start to drag. Sometimes I tell true stories, stories of things that happened to me when I was a little girl (the kids especially love stories about things that I thought were scary when I was young, or times my sisters and/or I got in trouble), stories of things that happened to Luke and Jaz and Zeb when they were younger, and stories of things yet to happen. For instance, when Lena was pregnant, I'd tell a lot of stories about the three brothers, Lukas, Jasper and Zeben and their brand new baby brother. Before we go on a trip, I tell stories about the trip. Before holidays, I tell holiday stories (I think this is why we so seamlessly transitioned from gift-giving extravaganza Solstice/Christmas, to our current much-reduced celebration). When one kid is having a lot of fear about a particular issue, I'll tell a story about that exact fear and the way the kid overcomes it. But the kids' favorite stories are the half-true/half-fantastical stories. Like the one I told tonight.

Nearly all stories begin like this:

Once Upon a Time . . . there were 4 brothers: Lukas, Jasper, Zeben and Leo. They lived with their Mom and Mama on _________ [our street] in _________ [our town].

Zeben usually recites most of the opening lines (while I am frantically trying to think up what the story will be about). Tonight I told a story about how one night, in the middle of the night, the kids' toy, Mr. Robot Head, started making more than his usual bleeps and bloops. He started talking. From there, the kids figured out that if they asked him questions, Mr. Robot Head could predict the future. He could tell them important things (like if Leo was in danger of falling down the stairs), and he could tell them less-important things (like what they'd be having for lunch the next day). The kids had to decide if they should keep Mr. Robot Head's powers a secret or share them with Mom and Mama (and the rest of the world). Tonight, this was a to be continued . . . story because it was late and the kids needed to go to sleep. So we'll see what the kids end up deciding tomorrow night (sometimes I make the decisions for the story-versions of the kids, and sometimes the real, live actual kids interject with their real opinions).

Popular repeat story lines are those that involve mysterious baby animals being found in our backyard, or left on our door step (actually if Zeben could choose, I'd tell the "baby wombat" story pretty much every night). So those are easy defaults on the days when my brain simply can't come up with something new.

It is quite empowering to remember that I can tell stories anytime, anywhere, just as I could nurse the kids when they were babies. Of course, it is a choice I have to make, when I am feeling frustrated or exasperated or otherwise disgruntled and the kids are being nutso. I have to choose to tap into the playful parent inside myself, the one who makes up stories and captivates my kids and gets us moving to a happier beat. And it doesn't always feel like an easy choice. Some days it feels nearly impossible. When I'm really feeling angry, telling a story can feel like giving a reward that my children don't deserve. And that's when I have to remind myself that I love being a mother. That this is the best time of my life. That telling stories is healing and magical for all of us. That I am mostly punishing myself by withholding whatever it is that I know will help move the kids--and me--into a different space. Parenting can be fun and joyful nearly all the time (times of sickness and injury absolutely not included). And story-telling can play a large role in making that happen. If I only let it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Do you tell stories to your kids? Do you have any tips or tricks to share about thinking them up or motivating yourself to do it? Please do so in the comments section. If you haven't tried being a story-teller for your little ones yet, try it now and then post a comment to tell me (and everyone else) how it went!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Gratuitous photo of a somewhat playful parent:

Giving the kids a donkey ride around the house
February 2006
Luke and Jaz were newly three and I was newly pregnant with Zeb
(though I didn't know it yet)

13 comments:

Dorea said...

I've often said our best parenting technique for H is storytelling (or, as we sometimes call it, brainwashing). Stories about a little girl suspiciously similar to her who decided to be brave for getting her hair washed (yes, that was a struggle), or pleasant when we picked her up from school, or to take her nap at daycare (etc) have worked wonders.

Jake said...

i love storytelling (hard not to, as a librarian)! this book is one of my favorites for easy-to-memorize-easy-to-tell tales:

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Minute-Tales-Margaret-Read-MacDonald/dp/0874837294

boo said...

Justine has really been struggling to fall asleep recently, and the only thing that helps her to settle down is a made up story. These stories nearly always feature two lovely mamas and their beautiful and charming son. I think that the past several months of story telling have been excellent practice for my future as a mom. Perhaps tonight I will try to include a baby wombat- I'll let you know if it's as popular here.

Schroedinger said...

Just here via figboiler. I love your blog. I'm still in the ttc stage of things, but I'm adding your blog to my list because I've already learned about half a dozen things that made me think "I have to remember this for later!"

lex's li'll sis said...

Does the corn muffin lady and the pizza lady visit with the boys ever? I would think that would be an all star playful parenting technique--- (tell em bout it!!!)

sara said...

P is the storyteller in our partnership & the boys love it. They beg for more adventures of this certain squirrel and it's gotten us through some grouchy moments, long walks, etc.

TammyQ said...

My children also adore story telling at bedtime "no mommy, not a book ,tell me a story from your *mouth*" lol. We almost exclusively do birth stories...describing the weather the day they were born, how we were feeling, who was there, etc...they never tire of it and I hope it means they will always remember these stories. My children are 7,4, and twins 13 months.

Iris E. said...

Ah the power of pedagogical stories, like Dorea mentions. Often, I have found that even envisioning the child in "need" of a story remedy (like envisioning my son Jonas as the main character) as the central character, even if they are called something else and live in a different time and their circumstances are a little different...The story is transformative and works on a deep level to facilitate change/growth that comes from within.

I also have collected and remembered many stories of "when we were little" and "when we were little and...naughty!" (even better!) My boys love the story of "when Nana got her picture taken on a pony and lied about it" or the slightly scarier "Once when Mama answered the door at Halloween and some teenagers grabbed all the candy out of her bowl!"

I know that wherever I am (airport, doctor's waiting rooms, etc.) I am never without a way to provide distraction, if that's what is called for!

Great posts this week, Lex!
Love, Love,
Iris

Vange said...

Lex, this post brought me back to my own childhood! My Dad's stories always involved Bula Bula Land. Bula Bula Land was kind of fantastical, a bit like Alice's Wonderland and you never quite knew what was going to happen next. It was all upside-down and backwards and there weren't any parents, but since we were into Star Wars and monsters and elves, lots of those characters.

Dad has since confessed that he never really knew what he was going to tell us, and he let the kids determine where the story would go. He would often dramatically pause to let the (four-to-six, depending on the year) kids interject excitedly with what/who/how and he would randomly pick from the bunch "baseballs!" "Pencils!" "My Little Ponies!" "Mushrooms!" "YES, there were THIRTEEN MUSHROOMS lining the path..." He claims that it was the journey of the story that kept us entertained, not whether it had a particularly good ending.

I'm not a parent, rather an occasional caretaker of children. When kids get cranky, esp with getting dressed or waiting for dinner to be ready, I sing about the dinner (sing-song phrases, nothing fancy) or make sound effects to aid in getting dressed. The 20-month-old I babysit now makes little robot noises when he attaches the velcro on his shoes (boop! Boop!) and says zzhhhhhrrrruuupppp when I zip up his jacket. It's silly, but distracts from tears and frustrations at key moments.

I'm enjoying this week's theme! (And, I'm just as eager as the boys to learn what happens with Mr Robot Head...)

Tess said...

De-lurking to say, I LOVE the Playful Parenting book (and it sounds like it's just your parenting style). It's a worthwhile read and it makes a good gift.

the parents said...

These are great posts, and definitely ones I'll be referring to again. My 3 year old loves made-up stories (ours involve a Flying Red Horse who takes him on adventures), we do one every night at bedtime but he gets so excited about it he jumps around and it's not super bedtimey. Oh, well. I've been surprised at the enjoyment of repetition in the stories - I often am pushing it to go in a new direction, and he wants it to be the same as the night before.

Carey said...

I'm a big fan of reading stories... just getting into telling my own stories! I liked your template - wasn't really sure how long/short my stories should be! That gives me a good place to start. Thanks!!

maybest said...

Hi Lex, I recently found your blog and have been making my way through the past entries. You and your family are completely inspiring to me. I find myself (much to my surprise and joy) the almost stepmom (not yet married) to two little boys, that already have two other mamas (my partner and her ex). So I have spent the last two years jumping in to learning to be a parent. Your experience shows me how to accomplish much of what I want for our little family including expanding it. With the boys I have found they LOVE stories about when we were little - exciting things we did, trips we went on, but especially things we learned and mistakes we made. These stories are great for passing time in the car and we make the kids rotate so that everyone takes a turn telling stories about when they were little (always in third person...). It is hilarious to hear what the boys come up with and amazing what they remember! Thank you again for all of your honesty, ideas, and thoughtfulness!