1/27/10

Baby On Board

Today was a day I've been waiting for since before our lion baby was born: Leo's first day riding around town in the bakfiets! He loved it. Luke and Jaz and Zeb loved it. We all loved it. And I was startled by how free I felt, riding off with Leo this morning. It reminded me of how I felt when Bakfietsy first arrived, finally allowing me to comfortably bike around with all three of my children. Since Leo's birth, biking has been limited to those times when I don't have the baby with me. I've had to drive to work a whole lot more than I ever thought I would (because I often bring Leo with me to work in the morning, and then Lena picks him up a couple of hours later). After I began my car-light challenge (which is going splendidly, I might add), I realized that I really was going to have to figure out a way to get Leo on the bike in order for it to be feasible, time-wise.

All along I've been figuring that the solution for baby + bakfiets is to put a car seat in the bak (box). This is what has worked for many other families. Work Cycles (the company that makes the bakfiets that I have) even makes an infant car seat adaptor for use in the Netherlands. But finding a car seat that would work in our bakfiets turned out to be much harder than I anticipated. Any car seat would have worked fine all on its own, but I wanted one that would leave space for two bigger kids to ride in the bak as well. None of the car seats that we had on hand for our vehicles (the britax boulevard and chaperone and the sunshine kids radian) were good candidates. Then, just a few weeks ago, I discovered the Combi Coccoro online, and felt quite optimistic about its potential. It only weighs 11 lbs. It is touted as being one of the narrowest and shortest (from bottom to top of the shell) car seats, designed to be compatible with "smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles" (I doubt that the manufacturers had the Bakfiets in mind, but it totally fits the bill!). It is also fully lined in energy absorbing EPS foam, which some of the less expensive seats I looked at lack. Lastly, I like that it has deep side wings, offering Leo yet more protection. Even though Leo could probably sit up just fine in the "seal seat" on my rear rack at this point (or even on the bench in the bak), I feel much better with him in a car seat. I always hated it when Zeb would fall asleep in the bakfiets because he'd just slump over (on the bench or in the rear seat). Leo will be able to sleep peacefully in the Coccoro, and I'm guessing that I'll keep him in there until he's about 2.


The Coccoro arrived yesterday (I purchased it a couple of weeks ago, but it was back-ordered), and I got right to work trying to install it in the bakfiets. And it worked! Hooray! Leo's first bike ride was to go to music class this morning. After music class, we rode over to Cradle to visit Katie (who works there on Wednesdays and Fridays). And then we took the bike to pick up Luke and Jaz at school (they get out at noon on Wednesdays). Luke and Jaz were so excited to see Leo in the bakfiets! Luke said, "Leo! It's finally your turn!" And neither of them complained about their drastically reduced leg room. In fact, I'd say it was their most enthusiastic ride home ever (I'm sure it won't last, but I'll enjoy it while it does). And Leo just grinned at his big brothers the whole way back to the house.


It's also really lovely for me to get to see Leo so easily while I'm riding. I can see that his head isn't jostling all around, and that he's peaceful and warm enough. In the end, I'm fine with the fact that it took me 7 months to figure out a biking solution for all four of my kids. I'm glad that Leo can wear a helmet now (since it's the law here for all kids to wear them), and that he's such a sturdy guy at this point. I got nothing but friendly smiles and comments from strangers in town which validated my thinking that Leo is, in fact, big enough to ride now.

Leo, 7 months old

Of course, biking is never 100% safe (nor is driving, or walking, climbing trees or countless other things that we do with little worry), but I felt safe riding around with Leo today. Safe and free.

13 comments:

sara said...

Leo appears to be a bike lover! What fun.

Julian said...

Love it! And that seat is lovely. What a CUTIE, he looks so happy to be facing his you and his brothers. Our Luc just had another baby on bike rite of passage - his first ride in a bobike mini front seat, which he loved.

By the way, have you seen these baby on bike posts from another recent baby on bike family?
http://civilizedconveyance.blogspot.com/

Anna said...

So cute! I am so interested in your bakfiets experiences. Don't you find it too heavy?! I have my toddler on a bikeseat on the back of my bike & I really struggle to power the bike up hills etc. But I need a 2 kid biking solution for when we increase the family!

Lex said...

Anna,

The bakfiets is quite heavy (100 pounds empty plus 50 lbs. per 6-year-old, 35 for Zeb, 30 for Leo w/ car seat and then a whole lot more for whatever I weigh) and I would not want to have it in a super hilly area. Where we live it's mostly flat, and I can make it up what small hills we have without too much trouble. Which is not to say that I don't avoid them if at all possible! But on flat/flatish ground, the weight really isn't noticeable.

The xtracycle is a great option for two-kid families. And now you can get the Yuba with two seats that snap on. Pretty sweet.

- Lex

katie said...

Looking good! So great. I am missing my bike and trailer set up this winter. We have a three year old and an 8 year old who is small, but now too big to fit in the trailer. We are going the "xtracycle with trail-a-bike train" route but are waiting on our tax refund. I am inspired by your car light challenge!

Casey from LifewithRoozle.com said...

I LOVE this! It's so awesome!! YAY Leo!

Anonymous said...

That baby just lights me up every time I see him. I don't know how you can stand to leave the house, I'd be in bed all day with him and the older boys, just hugging and kissing them. I love your bakfiets.

I have a breezer citizen with panniers and an ibert front mounted seat. I think I've seen you carry Zeb in one. It's really quite amazing being able to bike wherever I want, such as the library or grocery store, with my boy on the front with me.

Mozeyin' Along said...

Wow, I'm thrilled you got this to work!

This is my eventual plan, too. I currently keep Mo Mo in the trailer, but I hate having him back there.

I wonder how you feel about the MA law.

Maybe my understanding is wrong, but technically, under a year, kids are allowed in a trailer, but not on a bike. I know if I got a ticket, I would argue that the Bak is designed for kids, even under a year, and the rule doesn't apply to non-US style bikes. ::Shrug::

My former neighbour had a baby seat mounted on his non-bak cargo bike, on the load platform between the pedals and the front tire, it seemed like a great set up to me, but I think the bakfiets is better.

Dorea said...

We've been hesitant to do the little baby on bike thing on Boston streets, but seeing you guys do it, and Julian at totcycle...we might need to have another...

The Combi Coccoro looks perfect. Really lovely (though I doubt that's exactly the use that Combi had in mind).

We're planning to get baby R into our bobike maxi this spring before he turns a year, which definitely beats getting H on the bike at age 2. I don't think we'll feel solid with him on our 2-seater on the Xtra until the Fall. What size helmet is that on Leo? Does it fit pretty well?

Lex said...

Mozeyin': The law I've seen says no children under one on bikes; I guess that leaves it open to interpretation re: trailers (and bakfietsen?). the law also seems to imply that trail-a-bikes are not allowed for kids under 4 or 40 pounds. No one follows that one! Luckily, all concerned parties should be fine with the fact that I waited until Leo was one to start biking with him ;-).

Dorea: You are going to love it once you get R. on the bike! Leo's helmet is actually Zeben's helmet (I think it's the standard "infant" size), we need to get him a new one (actually planning to replace all of the kids helmets since they're totally beat up, and I like the look of the bern winter helmets). It doesn't fit him bare-headed, but it fits snugly with a fleece or wool hat underneath (Leo's head is only about 40th%, unlike our other kids!). The helmet is honestly more for show than anything since I can't imagine what it would protect him from, aside from something falling from the sky (even if the bike tips over, his head doesn't come close to touching anything--I tried it (in slow motion, of course)).

- Lex

mama said...

Lex, this is so freaking amazing! I love that smile on Leo's face...it's like he just knows it's OK to relax and enjoy himself.

Mozeyin' Along said...

Lex - the helmet is there to keep the aliens from reading his brain! :)

I do wear a helmet, though I'm not legally required to, and I am somewhat skeptical of helmet laws.

Oodles of data on traffic, bikes, injuries, and accidents shows that having more bikes on the road is better for everyone's safety than is having a few bikes on the road with riders wearing helmets.

I think you've got a great set up! Mozey is waiting to move out of the trailer and into the bike, if we ever get a bakfiets.

craftymama said...

LOVE it!!