1/20/10

The Joy of Three

Occasionally I hear people--other parents--remark about how difficult their three-year-olds are. "Three is the new 'two,'" they'll say. "Whoever coined the term, 'terrible twos' got it all wrong."

And I don't doubt them--all kids are different, all families are different--but that really has not been our experience at all. I LOVE three. Three is one of my most favorite years in development. I don't think I ever otherwise laugh as much as I do when there's a three-year-old in the house. Certainly, there are moments when you could--as a parent--want to pull your hair out thanks to your three-year-old. But I mostly find that laughter is just as applicable a reaction. Lena and I have been in tears (due to laughter) several times lately as result of our current three-year-old, who says and does the funniest things ever (I'm planning to catch him on video one day soon since I can never remember the exact phrasing he uses).

I'm sick in bed at the moment (blech), and entertaining myself by looking through old photos (those we didn't lose in the great bathtub disaster), and thought I'd post some pictures of our first three three-year-olds, all total sweethearts (at least some of the time):

Lukas, 3 years old

Jasper, 3 years old

Zeben, 3 years old

Love them all so much.

2 comments:

Iris E. said...

Hey Lex! Speaking of funny things, I still would love to send our little Annual your way but need your new info.
And the best advice I ever had from my mom was to just keep a piece of paper on the fridge so it's handy so that you can write those awesome things down like "my leg has no gravity in it!"
Feel better!
Love to all,
Iris

Suzanne said...

Zeben is gorgeous!!!