1/16/10

In One Hour

Today I had an hour before I had to leave to go to work for the afternoon, and I decided to use that hour to be my most productive self, finally starting--and finishing!--a project that I've been planning for months. Our beloved carpenter friends recently finished putting up a bunch of shelves in our kitchen (we designed the shelves to match our kids' play kitchen, and they are so perfect), and I'd been eyeing the empty space between one set of shelves and our kitchen stove, sensing its potential.

the before picture

Our Hearth is finally finished now too (all that had been missing was the wooden rim around the edge, but it had been driving me crazy). Our talented pals used some of the cherry leftover from the kitchen shelves project to make the rim.

Finished!

And I can't tell you how overjoyed I was to find out that there was still a bit more cherry remaining, a piece that wasn't needed for the Hearth. I knew exactly what to do with it. One piece of cherry wood (2" x 34"), and one wooden dowel were about to add a wonderful touch to our kitchen.

the materials

first I drilled 11 holes in the cherry, each 3 inches apart

next I cut the dowel into 3-inch-long pieces, sanded them,
and glued them in the holes
(note my helpers' feet!)

the final step was to add some beeswax polish . . .

. . . and then hang my finished work on the wall!

I love the way this simple, simple project that took no more than one hour to complete, has added so much to our kitchen. The new-and-improved stove set-up:


And I apologize, once again, for my continued difficulties in finding time to write in this space. Because I would like to be writing here more--much more--I am going to give myself a bit of a jump start by blogging every day for the rest of this month, hoping it will start a trend for the rest of 2010.

8 comments:

mysticpi said...

That is beautiful! You are talented! I bet the next shelves you'll be able to put up yourself.

I love your sense of color and space.
Is that a hooked rug on the floor? I've recently started hooking and it's so easy and so much fun

Celeste said...

Gorgeous, Lex! How you find time for anything creative is beyond me still! :o)

Always one to ask for a tutorial, I'd LOVE one on how to hang a shelf (or a swing!), and how to choose essential tools for basic home repair and projects!

Looking forward to your frequent posts... I always start the month that way and fall off the wagon later.

Unknown said...

I am just so impressed that you are managing to do so much. I love reading your blog and being inspired by you and your family. The pictures of your place are beautiful. I'd also love a tutorial on how to hang a swing. I need to get myself in gear to do that for our 5 month old.

Woolymama said...

A very nice little project, we need to do something similar! I love your little rainbow row of mugs, such a cute little touch. I am sadly jealous of your woodstove, heck your house in general. It seems to be a beautiful, cozy, sunny space. Glad you will be blogging more!

craftymama said...

looks like a magazine spread...!

Knights' Mama said...

I can only echo previous comments...it is beautiful. Do you have a beeswax polish you'd recommend?

Lex said...

Knights'Mama: I use the camden rose polish, here's a link: http://www.palumba.com/product/260/

Love it!

jazzy said...

I'm inspired by your craftiness.. you have such a beautiful life!