1/19/10

Crafting Hope for Haiti

Last week, after the tragic earthquake in Haiti, one of my blog readers alerted me to the fact that Craft Hope, a wonderful blog/organization that helps all sorts of people and families in need, had opened an Etsy Shop specifically to assist in funding the doctors without borders in Haiti.

Craft Hope for Haiti Shop Spreading seeds of hope one stitch at a time

All of the proceeds from items sold in this shop go directly to the doctors in Haiti, and so far the shop has raised about $10,000 in just a few days! When I first heard about the project, I knew that I wanted to contribute something. I ended up making two birdie t-shirts, and they are now available for sale in the Craft Hope for Haiti Shop.

The first one is a size 18 months (fits more like 18-24 months), organic cotton dyed chocolate brown and appliqued with a sweet bird. The listing is here.

The second one is size 12 months (fits more like 12-18 months), organic cotton dyed avocado green and appliqued with a fun and funky bird. The listing is here.


Check them out and all of the other fabulous handmade items that have been donated to this shop! I also just learned that the two amazing mamas in charge of this operation have decided to stop accepting new donations tomorrow, so if you feel inspired to craft for Haiti, do it now! Email your submissions (photos, description and price) to sarah at crafthope.com .

Our hearts are aching for the many, many, many people in Haiti who have lost their children, parents, loved ones and houses. And we are finding solace in the many people who are now working so hard to help. I have seen this quote from Mr. Rogers, floating around on Facebook, and it's so very true:

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me. 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day especially in times of 'disaster', I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are ...still so many helpers--so many caring people in this world."

1 comment:

keight dukes said...

yes, i bought the brown one! 2 wishes coming true: helping people in need in a creative, hands-on way AND getting a TSM original craft! so cool!